News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BELL SYSTEM TELEPHONE RESTORED PORCELAIN SIGN WALL MOUNTED ENAMEL

Started by Doug Rose, January 20, 2012, 06:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked up this sign on eBay. Seller said it had been repainted, but it looks and feels like a porcelain sign. Maybe becasue the back shows damge, they thought it was repainted? I have never seen one quite like this. It has a bend it the middle that is supposed to be there. It is such a cool sign. Looks brand new with out the flash in it. I was shocked it didn't go into the hundreds. Any info would be greatly appreciated...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320824674824
Kidphone

bingster

I'm no expert on signs, and I certainly don't want to put a damper on any enthusiasm, but I've never seen a bell shaped like that one on an official Bell System sign.  The typestyle seems odd, too (not that the two "E" letters are different).  My vote is for an Asian-made novelty sign from the 1970s or '80s, when such "retro" signs were all the rage.

= DARRIN =

Adam

Not to denigrate your item, this is indeed a very cool sign.

But as I first saw it, it looked "wrong" to me, and it took me a few minutes to identify why.

It needs the circle around it to actually be the Bell System logo properly.

Perhaps you could mount it on a frame inside a circle of the same color as the blue in the sign.

[Edit: This was posted at the same time as Bingster's post above.]
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Doug Rose

The first picture came of a New England Telephone Office. No circle around this.

Second picture is back of the Sign I just bought. Sure looks like it was mounted and not a repro.

Oh well....Doug
Kidphone

Adam

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 20, 2012, 07:40:57 PM
The first picture came of a New England Telephone Office. No circle around this.

I wasn't meaning to imply it would be incorrect to display it without a circle around it.  Just, to my eye, it would look better that way...

:)
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Signguy

Second picture is back of the Sign I just bought. Sure looks like it was mounted and not a repro.

Oh well....Doug

Doug.... The first question ..... is the paint blue over white or white over blue?
Second question..... where did it come from (state, Canada, etc)?

If it is telephone related It almost certainally was off of  a  call box or some sort of equipment. The porcelain/paint (?)  on the rear of the sign indicates that it is post 1960.

IF... it was repainted the shape seems to suggest it may be bell shaped but meant for  different advertising such as Blue Bell Overalls. The rear view looks like it is painted not fired. Is that true?

Let me know about the paint application. ( blue over white etc.)

Cheers..... Ell

Doug Rose

Ell...I got it from eBay so I have no History. I would not know how to tell if its blue over white of vice versa. Its pretty big for a call box. I don't know the difference between fired and painted.

All I know is this was a very professional job. Considering the back of the sign, it must have been repainted. Feels like an enamel, very smooth and thick.

Whoever did this went to a lot of trouble, time and expense....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Doug:

It looks to have pins on the back and is that lead plugs on each pin? If so, likely mounted on a brick, concrete or cinder block wall.

I know nothing about signs but if it were blue over white the blue sections would be thicker or higher than the surrounding white areas. (wouldn't it?)

Terry

Signguy

Doug

Since there is no shelving (one color over the other) then it is probably a repaint of a bell that was never meant to be telephone related.  In over 40 years of collecting Bell System signs I have never seen this shape. That is not to say it couldn't be because I have found a little different shaped sign  does come along every once in a while but usually of a very early variety.

The Bell System font does resemble the 39 Bell logo but nothing else comes close to matching. The painting appears to be enamel but not porcelainized.

My advice... Enjoy the sign and treat it as a welcome addition to your great "stuff".

Cheers....... Ell

Doug Rose

thanks Ell.....I am more than happy with it. My knowledge of signs in the newbie stage compared with you. At least once a week I go and stare at your collection. This Sign is 16 by 16. I agree, as seller pointed out, that it is a repaint. They were definitely professional painters as this is first rate.

If this was not originally a Bell System sign, someone sure took a lot of time and money to make it look like one.

Terry...I agree with you, this sign was mounted on concrete or brick same as the other outside sign I pictured from a NET office. Constant with the weather wear on the back.

All in all, it is a keeper. Honestly, I can't keep my eyes off of it. I am thrilled with it...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I was dusting the phone room today, what a chore that is! As I dusted, I was looking closely at my signs. The signs with the '23 Bell all had the short arm in the E in both Bell and System. Where it really gets interesting are the '39 Bells. Some have the long arm on both Bell and System, some the short, short.....BUT some have the long and short arm mix in both Bell and System; like my sign. Most either have the long arm or the short arm in the Es, but their are signs with the mix of long and short armed Es.  Meaning, after the '39 there was not alot of consistency. Signs were made by different companies. Exciting stuff? Honestly, I never noticed this or thought of it after this thread. Just something to think about....Doug
Kidphone