"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Handset with two small holes..

Started by Sean, September 23, 2008, 03:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

Hey all,

I purchased an old AE 34 and AE 35 style handset with a couple of small holes in the bakelite that should be easy to fill. The holes are about half the size of a medium sized pea.  Any thoughts about what product to fill it with?

Would you use Epoxy or some other substance? Would you use acrylic paint to pigment the Epoxy or other substance?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Sean
Yep... I am an AE 35/50 and 34/40 nut.

Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric, Automatic Electric!
AE CO, AE CO, AE CO!
Monophone, Monophone, Monophone!

All hail King Almon Strowger!

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Sean on September 23, 2008, 03:49:24 PM
Hey all,
I purchased an old AE 34 and AE 35 style handset with a couple of small holes in the bakelite that should be easy to fill. The holes are about half the size of a medium sized pea.  Any thoughts about what product to fill it with?
Would you use Epoxy or some other substance? Would you use acrylic paint to pigment the Epoxy or other substance?

I haven't a clue Sean, but stand by, as there's about a zillion vintage radio enthusiasts here, and they're all about repairing bakelite.  I'll bet there's more knowledge about bakelite packed into our member base than anywhere else in the known universe!  (there...I've got my daily exaggerations out of the way)

Dan/Panther

Sean;
Personally, I would look for a donor, and cut a plug to fit the bakelite. Epoxy, or the likes, would be mono toned, and will  stick out like a sore thumb.
Take your time to make the plug fit as snugly as possibe. It should look almost flawless.

Mark;
I would not consider your comment an exaggeration at all. Considering that many collect several items that are bakelite, you may well be accurate in your comment.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson