News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Going retro with your cell phone

Started by Tonyrotary, May 12, 2009, 01:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

As we all have seen cell phones are so much a part of most peoples lives these days. And with bluetooth headsets, people walking around that look like they are talking to themselves. I found this site that shows two headsets for cell phones. One is a more modern G looking headset with cord you plug in to your cell phone. The other is more retro and uses bluetooth to link to your cell phone. Put a old bell ringer ringtone on your phone and use one of these and I bet you would turn a few heads. ;)

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cell-phone/8928/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/7830/

Of course for really retro this one is hard to beat! Expensive though. The black model is cheaper.

[http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=287

Steve

WOW!

That rotary cell phone is pretty cool.

a 554 model would have a lot of possibility too.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

McHeath

All fun stuff.  The port-a-rotary is my favorite, giving a new lease on life for the classics.  Someday when we lose landline service these options may save our old phones from merely being ornamental.

AET

Could you imagine trying to text on one of those Rotary Cell phones?  These just happened to come up in discussion on the Fedora Lounge today as well!
- Tom

Firefyter-Emt

Oh, this is so awesome!!

That xlink box is the answer to my problem!  My WE-500 is my home office phone on it's own phone line.  Recently I learned that we are loosing our land line and going to just have the company cell phone.  Well my cell phone works great for coverage and its bluetooth~  I planed to keep the phone line, but it looks like this box will be the best thing since sliced bread!. 

My rotary phone will only work and ring when I am home and close enough for a connection (My wife will be in heaven) and I can use it at my desk as long as my always present cell phone is near.  The savings on the phone bill will pay for it soon. (although I can no longer claim it on my expense report.  BUT it gets better, I should be able to hook my fax to this and send a fax over my cell phone if the need be.  I mostly use a digital fax on my laptop for that.

You guys just made my day!  THANK YOU!!

Tonyrotary

Firefyter-Emt,

Let us know how well it works. I am thinking about getting one too.

HobieSport

I don't use a cell phone but the idea of using a 302 or similar as a cell phone just tickles me pink.  Or aqua.

benhutcherson

I too am interested in how well the xlink box works, as I've seriously considered purchasing one on many occasions.

I too hate cell phones, but they're pretty much a necessary evil for me, and can be fairly convenient.

Ben
(who is typing this post from his cell phone)

HobieSport

I don't really hate cell phones, I just like to make fun of them. ;)
We simply don't have cell reception at our house and I mostly work at home.

I read an interesting opinion in an online newspaper comment today, where folks were arguing about the evils of "vishing"; that is, robot voice mail telemarketing, and how hard it was to block it from a cell phone, and why don't the phone companies and government do something about it. There was a lot of angry chatter and bickering back and forth about this.

One person asked how to block"vishing" from a "regular phone" and a person responded, condescendingly and seemingly quite seriously, "Oh, that doesn't matter; only poor people use landlines anymore." ::)  Sigh.  What can I say... :P

I'm writing this over a fairly high speed remote DSL connected to our land line.  Oh, and I'm impervious to "vishing", because I let the answering machine answer first. 8)

Here's some more humorous gadgets:  http://www.mockia.com/

Firefyter-Emt

Oh don't worry, I will be sure to let you all know~

It might not be until mid summer or so, I am holding on to my office land line for now, but the word has come down from above... the land lines will be be a thing of the past soon...

Although, once that happens, out home phone may be changed to one of those new deals that I hear about.  Something with a really cheap plan?  It will only be my wife that is using it anyway.  ;)  On my end, the cell phone is work related and on all the time, but free.  So with this box, my rotary phone can call for free too!  My only worry that needs to be looked into is this: If my cell phone is in range of the xlink, can I answer the cell phone?  I know that my cell phone will not answer if my bluetooth head set is left on.  That could be a pain.

PS..  I work as an Insurance Appraiser, and if you don't mind some "profiling", I can almost bet my first born that if I receive a file with only a cell number, there is a very good chance they "don't work" for a living if you know what I mean.  I would be willing to say that most "poor" people do not have a landline!   

AET

Well around here, most people that are of a lower to middle income only have a cell phone, I only know older folks that have only a land line, and people who are well off have both.
- Tom

HobieSport

Right.  What amazed me was that anyone would make such an assumption or any association between one's preferred mode of phone technology and income. :P

Firefyter-Emt

FYI, I was not making an assumption... I have been in the field for the last 10 years and this the trend I see.  If you think about it, on a limited income, why pay for a land line over a cell phone?  You can almost get a cell plan cheaper than the land line and you always have it on you for calls. 

Heck, I may even drop the land line...

Tom is correct from what I see, it is the same trend I see myself. I contact 10-15 people a day with a major city as part of my territory.  If I have a cell only number, I always ask for a home phone in case I need to call them and the same with a land line, I ask for a cell.  My "profile" is based on this over the last 10 years.  I also drive to the homes in most cases and see right where they live.  Granted, someone with a large mass of money could live in that seedy three decker in the bad section of town and I could very well be wrong...

Now don't get me wrong... I am not saying there is anything wrong with that or placing any blame anywhere.  It was just a comment that in today's world, it's the land line that is seen as the "luxury" and the cell phone as the staple.

Bill Cahill

>:( FYI  I am poor. However, that is not the reason I only own a land line.
I am also legally blind. I cannot read the tiny touch pad, and, screen. Further, I prefer the land line. I hate charging batteries, signals lost, etc...
My cordless phone never gets used anymore.
Please have a little consideration that there might be people who just don't like cell phones..
Thank you.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."