News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Comcast - My rotary phones won't dial out anymore!!!!

Started by John S, December 19, 2013, 08:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Any advice.....

For some reason all my rotary phones dial stop working yesterday.  My  touch tones phones still work, but my rotary dial will not dial out anymore.  It just stop working.....I tried about 7 rotary phones and the same......won't let me.  I called Comcast, and they had no idea what I was taking about.  Anybody have any ideas? advice?  Comcast say they are looking into it, give me a call in a few days.  We will see what happens...

John

dencins

I just tried my 354 in the kitchen and it still dials out fine.  I have Comcast Digital Voice in Massachusetts.

Dennis Hallworth

Dennis Markham

John, Comcast supports pulse dialing here in the Detroit area.

Phonesrfun

I have heard of many people who have experienced a sudden change where rotary dialing quits working and nobody at the "customer service" center has a clue as to what a rotary dial even is.  Some parameter was probably changed in their system, and there are probably not many others, if any, who have experienced the lack of working rotary dialing.  

Keep on them, but this is one of the built-in annoyances with dealing with a non-phone company for your dial tone.  Keep a touch-tone near by so you can still call out.  There are fewer and fewer rotary dials out there for them to support.  They already don't care, and it will probably get worse over time.  

My service is with Charter Cable, and so far it works great.  I they ever turn off rotary dialing, I will have to do all my telephoning through my Panasonic 616.
-Bill G

John S

Comcast really had no idea what I was talking about......they will call back in a few days.  Just odd, that it just stopped.............I will keep you guy posted....just very annoying/frustrating......

John

Contempra

I have no problems with my phone provider here in my area. This company supports my old phone line and the touch-tone...that's why I have 3 different phones in my appartment ;)

Phonesrfun

Quote from: John S on December 19, 2013, 09:52:38 PM
Comcast really had no idea what I was talking about......they will call back in a few days.  Just odd, that it just stopped.............I will keep you guy posted....just very annoying/frustrating......

John

They might have downloaded a new firmware to the ATA, and neglected to keep all settings the way they should be.  Most ATA's themselves support rotary dialing, but the programming is usually fully under the control of the provider, in this case Comcast.  Hopefully they will get it sorted out.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Gosh, that would be frustrating, though, my plan is, I could just wire a pulse converter through the root of my line. Would this overload the converter? Or I could use my panisonic, which I'm sure could handle it.

Though, luckily Quest still supports rotarys.

Ben

JimH

John, I had the very same problem a couple of months ago.  I have Comcast Digital Voice, and the rotary phones were working fine, until I pressed the "reset" button on my router box.  I did this because I was trying to hook up my WiFi to my laptop and it wasn't working.  I read somewhere online to try pushing the reset button.  Well, after I did that, my rotary phones no longer worked.  I called and called, and noone understood what I was talking about.  Finally, I insisted that a tech come out to the house.  Since they advertise their system supports "pulse" telephones, I did not get charged.  They changed out my box, and it works fine now.  The tech also told me the new box was a faster, newer model.  I was happy.
Jim H.