News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting Photo

Started by LarryInMichigan, January 22, 2014, 07:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I remember hearing in the late 1970s or early 1980s that Ladas were being sold in Canada.  I wonder if the US Customs gave drivers any trouble when they tried to cross the border into the USA.

Larry

twocvbloke

Quote from: poplar1 on January 23, 2014, 11:56:07 AM
My friend Paul had a Lada in Québec in 1984. It had an electric starter but still had the hole in front for a crank.

2CVs are like that, the starting handle also works the jack and can be used to undo the nuts when changing a wheel, but most people only start their 2CV (Or Dyane, or Ami, or Mehari, or anything else based upon the 2CV platform!!) with the handle for fun, rather than using it in an emergency, after all, there's a starter motor bolted onto the gearbox... ;D

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on January 23, 2014, 11:56:07 AM
My friend Paul had a Lada in Québec in 1984. It had an electric starter but still had the hole in front for a crank.

I got myself a Lada in 1981. I did not like this vehicle at all... the only thing that was good in this vehicle, it was the comfort of the seats. The rest, boff!

DavePEI

Another soviet block item which was commonly seen in Canada was the Belarus tractors from Minsk, Belarus if I remember correctly. When they first came out, many farmers bought them on the Island, as their price undercut the cost of North American tractors! But this trend didn't last long, and the top seller changed over from Belarus red to J.D. green and yellow Many Belari had air cooled engines and their parts were scarce, and lacked the quality of North American brands. Seems in less than ten years they became popular, then largely dissappeared!

Later, a North American distributor began distributing them but they never seemed to regain the popularity they had in the early days.

It would seem to be much the same story as with the Lada.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

the 4 X 4 trucks Lada were popular..the cars, I don't know ...

LarryInMichigan

Here is another picture of comrade Krushchev holding the handset of his very non-Soviet British (imperialist) GPO phone.

Larry