News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

50AL w/Curly Line Cord

Started by zaphod01, February 02, 2014, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I recently acquired a 50AL with a curly line cord. I've seen other vintage phones with curly line cords and simply assumed they were 'incorrect'. However, I thought I'd seek the wisdom of the forum on this one.

This phone has a #2 dial with 2AX over B on the fingerstop. The dial plate is a 164A dated 1955. The lack of discoloration on the paper behind the dial plate leads me to believe it has been in place for many years.

The curly line cord is attached to an old style 4-pin connector (photo attached). It's nasty enough to indicate it was in service for some time. Any ideas why this line cord and connector would be attached to a 50AL?
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

WesternElectricBen

I am what you call a candlestick "noob," but I am just thinking out loud: is there a date on the hook? (connects base to cord)

zaphod01

Yes! Marked 55. This matches the date on the dial plate. Now, why the 4-pin connector?

WesternElectricBen

Would it be possible that the Bell System messed it up, on accident using it?

Or, could it be possible that a user bought the cord, as they knew it matched the base year, and installed it, like it was there originally?

Ben

zaphod01

The fingerstop with the X over the B, the 1955 dial plate, and the line cord dated 55, makes me think this was done by one of the WE rebuilding shops in 1955. There's a little overspray in the base and it's stamped 'BS' in vermillion.

Makes you wish you could know the history of these old phones. Looks like it will clean up nicely.

WesternElectricBen

I agree, I'd like to see it when it is done.

I really need to find a candlestick and subset project, but I don't have the funds. :(

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Oh, my bad, Zaphod1, I thought by 4 pin, you meant a 4 pin wire conductor, rather than the jack.

Ben

zaphod01

I hated to remove the curly cord with the 4-pin jack without knowing how it could have been used in that configuration. Moot point I guess. I found a nice 534A subset for the project.

WesternElectricBen

Could you still use the cord to the subset, or to the wall, where you could keep the old 4 prong jack?

Ben

paul-f

If the cord is a Western Electric cord, it should have a D or H model number stamped on one of the strain reliefs.  A quick check of the BSPs will identify the cord.

How many conductors and what colors are they?  There were coiled mounting cords, usually with red, green and yellow conductors.  These are relatively hard to find in good condition.

The plug suggests it was to be plugged directly in to a phone line.  If there is no network inside (probably not) adding a subset, as you plan, is a great move.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

zaphod01

It's marked with a D. Three wires with red, green and yellow (picture attached).

534A cover is at the powder-coater. I'll see what it looks like with the curly cord.

Thanks!

paul-f

In my opinion, the cord would be more appropriate as a mounting cord on an age-appropriate 500 type set.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Russ62

Hi,   A reprinted Bell System ad from 1933 in the book 100 Years of Bell Telephones which shows a 202. refers to the availability of portable telephones that could be moved from room to room and plugged in like a lamp. Apparently they were intended to be used with jacks wired to a centralized subset. Sure enough, a friend of mines' neighbor, who lives in a 1935 house, has a mysterious small built in cubicle in the wall with a grille over it that we believe probably originally contained one of these.                                    Russell

zaphod01

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the info!

zaphod01

Anyone needing a date coded 1955 curly line cord should PM me. I'm keeping the 4-pin connector because it's better than one I have on one of my 5302's but the line cord is yours for the asking.

Robert