News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tell me what I just bought.....

Started by Dave Beck, February 02, 2014, 03:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Beck

Bought this off of e-bay yesterday. Tell me what it is please. I think I know but want expert confirmation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380830663345

Thanks,
Dave

WesternElectricBen

twocvbloke

paul-f

It's a 70's vintage "designer" repro designed to look somewhat like an early AE set.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Kenton K

Dave Beck

I was afraid it might be a repo.....It appears to have an ae dial and when I saw the network and ringer assembly I thought it was an ae that had been updated, then I saw the hook switch and that was when I thought I knew I had bought a repo...
Dave

paul-f

Compare the shape of the cradle with the one here:
   http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1316.msg16769#msg16769

Photos of both added below for reference.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dave Beck

Second and main question.....Did I get took on this phone for $75.00 shipping included? Come on you can tell me....I 'll take it like a man.

Dave

tallguy58

Money better spent on a real WE 202 set.

Just don't pay him. Seems eBay does nothing about it anyway.

But you didn't hear it from me. ;D ;D

And check with us next time, huh.
Cheers........Bill

rdelius

From Chicago Old Telephone,AE type 41 handset,repro WE base,ATEA cradle.AE dial and mini network.
At least not series wired with new dial.

Sargeguy

Just tell him that you realized it is not a WE and would like to cancel the transaction.  disclaimers such as Western Electric? Are not allowed on EBay and are grounds for canceling.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

I'm not an AE kinda guy, But that looks original to me, What makes everyone think it's a repro ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

The patent dates around the edge of the base indicate a WE dial candlestick base--real or fake. The base on this phone is the same fake base used on phoneco (phonecoinc.com) repro WE candlesticks. AE bases don't have dates around the edge, and they have one large base mounting screw.

The reason there are only two screws in the repro baseplate here is that the third one would be the one that attaches to the rack in a WE candlestick to hold the top part of the phone stationary.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

It was assembled at the Chicago Old Telephone company.I worked there for 25 years and know our work.All our AE dial cards on these sets have the same flaw as this one .Note the 1992 date on the blue sticker inside.Phone co made similar sets but used newer AE dials from 80E sets and they  had an ugly screw holding a uasually painted plastic fingerwheel.

poplar1

More pictures of the Chicago Old Telephone Co. set:

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.