News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BK Precision 1045/1050 Telephone Tester - Sightings!

Started by AE_Collector, July 30, 2014, 10:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleenax

Quote from: dsk on April 22, 2018, 12:22:52 PM
I'm really impressed of what that tester can do, and it does it so much quicker than what I can get the results with meters and PC.

In one way I want it, but for $1200  (shipping and customs to Norway included) I may get many phones....  ;)   :'(    :-X

dsk
DSK, if you're patient, one of those BK-1045's should come available for under $100. I'm out of BK-1050's & 1045's or else I'd send ya one!  Used to keep 3 or 4 around just for that purpose, and take them to phone shows to sell to other collectors.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

dsk

Thank you thats nice.
I have just made an offer for a 1050  ($100) and I m wondering how it will work on 50Hz
I have 2 ways to power it: 1 A 50VA 110V inverter  60 Hz made for old laptop, or just a s30-115V transformer putting out 50Hz as we have on our mains.  None of these will give me a Neutral bonded to Ground/earth, but I may ground it if that is a must.
Our strange power here has 230V not related to eart/ground. In Europe known as IT system. https://goo.gl/3vgl8

dsk

AE_Collector

Did you check shipping to you on the one from Israel? It has been listed for a long time so maybe they will take an offer.

Terry

dsk

dsk

I got it  :D    $100 + shipping $139 +whatever it will be in VAT and customs.
I have been in the basement and found a 100 VA torodial with center-tapped primary, this will be my voltage divider from 230 to 115 V

dsk

AE_Collector

Congrats dsk! At least the post man will be able to find your post box even if it won't fit inside. Lots of BK's changing hands this month!

Terry

Sigmaz

HAH!
Someone over at BK Precision commented on the video of the 1050 test.

dsk

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 23, 2018, 09:02:36 PM
Congrats dsk! At least the post man will be able to find your post box even if it won't fit inside. Lots of BK's changing hands this month! for those who wonder, the total cost with shipping and customs etc was slightly more then $300.  That is actually not bad, even when it is a rather expensive toy.  :-X   so dont tell my wife...

Terry
Thank you, now I have to make a complaint: to fast shipping :o , the parcel arrived at the post office friday, and I wnt of on a weekend to our cabin in southern Norway.   ;D

I picked it up and powered it on 115 V, it starts up and looks OK, 2 knobs, and a leg is missing, but I have whats needed. The left meter was pressed in to the cabinet, but was easy to put back.  I will put in a 230 centertapped transformer and change cord/plug and then it is probably OK. Maybe a little cleaning too.

Now I am at the cabin, all snow is gone, but there have not been any leaves on the trees yet. Sunny and nice, but still cold.  Not more than 9 deg C.

dsk

Sigmaz

Glad to hear you finally got one!

Yeah, silly how the meters are held into the openings.
Just a little spring tang piece which is easily pushed back and bent out of shape.

I've recently seen photos of another 1050 with the meters displaced.
It wasn't until I had my own that I realized they weren't damaged but just out of sorts.

dsk

:D Yes, now it is up and running, everything seems to work well, it was room inside for a transformer so I got 115V, it seems to run nice on 50Hz and everything is OK.

dsk

Sigmaz

That's great!
Congrats on finally sorting it out.

Welcome to the club.

dsk

This thread and being the happy owner of the telephone tester made me share some feelings.

I probably shouldn't, but I kinda feel sorry when some stops with this hobby.  (as I read about in other threads)
Others will bring it further, but this hobby has been a good and important part of my life, and I wish that for you too. I have to admit that collecting is so important, but understanding how things are, being able to get them working, tuning dials and ringers.  I have no intention to be the European Steve Hilsz, but guiding other members trough the process of tuning, or fault-finding is fun, and my English are slowly getting better. 
The best experience for my ego was when another European member sent me a phone for repair, and I did not know anything before the parcel came. That member has been my best friend on this forum! And her I only have good friends.  Thank you, all of you!

dsk

Sigmaz

eBay never seems to fail..
Just checked with my search tool, It's good to see there is never a shortage of over priced haggard out 1045's out there.

It's not like hunting for a Sage 930.. at least they look like they are worth big bucks.

kleenax

Quote from: dsk on May 01, 2018, 04:00:31 PM
This thread and being the happy owner of the telephone tester made me share some feelings.

I probably shouldn't, but I kinda feel sorry when some stops with this hobby.  (as I read about in other threads)
Others will bring it further, but this hobby has been a good and important part of my life, and I wish that for you too. I have to admit that collecting is so important, but understanding how things are, being able to get them working, tuning dials and ringers.  I have no intention to be the European Steve Hilsz, but guiding other members trough the process of tuning, or fault-finding is fun, and my English are slowly getting better. 
The best experience for my ego was when another European member sent me a phone for repair, and I did not know anything before the parcel came. That member has been my best friend on this forum! And her I only have good friends.  Thank you, all of you!

dsk
Very nice post DSK!  I too have several very good, life-long friends that I have met through telephone collecting; it IS a very special hobby indeed.

PS: I sure wish we all knew each other's "real" names on here; of course, maybe some of you like it just the way it is! ;-)

Warm regards to all,

Ray Kotke (aka Kleenax)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC