News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Queen makes the First STD call..........

Started by JubileeCompact, September 29, 2014, 03:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubileeCompact

Hey People
This is an amazing film showing the inauguration of Subscriber Trunk Dialling. It also shows the soon to be available 706 .........I believe the example in the film was Concorde Blue......
Seamus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfH0Xr1rIcY
Seamus

twocvbloke

It's not often you see the royals dialling their own phones (I'm sure they do it a lot away from the cameras though), wouldn't surprise me if they had that very telephone stashed away somewhere after being presented with it as a gift from the GPO... ;D

JubileeCompact

And 0131 225 3636 is still a current number....

http://www.wildfirerestaurant.co.uk/
Seamus

Matilo Telephones

LOL, did you dial it?

And who picked up the phone? Alex Salmond?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Fabius

HM seemed to be enjoying dialing the phone. Once connected both ends of the conversation seemed to be reading from a script.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on September 29, 2014, 09:16:59 AMAnd who picked up the phone? Alex Salmond?

I doubt he'll be answering many phones after his failure to give Scotland its independence... ;D

Fabius

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on September 29, 2014, 09:16:59 AM

And who picked up the phone? Alex Salmond?

HA! Being a Yank I had to Google "Alex Salmond" to see who he is.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Being a Yank I had to Google "Scotland".  It's where the Scotch live apparently.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 02, 2014, 09:17:07 PM
Being a Yank I had to Google "Scotland".  It's where the Scotch live apparently.

You are correct. They are well known for their tape.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 29, 2014, 03:55:57 AM
It's not often you see the royals dialling their own phones (I'm sure they do it a lot away from the cameras though),

They don't. At least the Queen doesn't.

There was an article in the BT Journal about the installation of a new switchboard in Buck House. I think it was, aptly enough, a Monarch system.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/monarch120.htm

Apparently additional equipment had to be installed to cater for the large number of manual extensions set to auto-dial to the operator on lifting the handset, and for the operator to be able to see instantly from where/whom the call was coming. And a telephone (possibly a Siemens Neophone) presented to one of the King Georges which was a favourite of The Queen had to be modified to allow it to work with the new system as She didn't want a nasty plasticcy telephone.

The Queen is possibly also the only woman in Britain to not carry a mobile phone in her handbag.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on October 03, 2014, 06:46:51 AMThe Queen is possibly also the only woman in Britain to not carry a mobile phone in her handbag.

Of course, it's in her back pocket... ;D

Sargeguy

That's all well and good but what does the Queen have to do with Sexually Transmitted Diseases???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Well, the royal family does have a problem with haemopilia, which is transmitted via reproductive acts.... :o

(And more seriously, Subscriber Trunk Dialling, removing the need to ask an operator to dial to another part of the country for you)

Sargeguy

I thought you called them "boots" instead of "trunks"?  Shouldn't it be Subscriber Boot Dialing???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 04, 2014, 08:12:13 AM
I thought you called them "boots" instead of "trunks"?  Shouldn't it be Subscriber Boot Dialing???

No, we call male swimwear Trunks, otherwise Dial-a-cossie wouldn't make much sense when the subscriber dials for a pair of trunks...