News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Handset misplaced!

Started by Zack C, November 21, 2014, 09:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zack C

If I had a 4h or 5h these are the instructions I would use from the gentleman the sold me the subset.

Zack C

If I had a WE dial, here are the instructions provided with my subset.

Zack C

Unbeldi, hold the press, I was the high bidder on another phone like this one last night. It has a E1 handset and I assume a WE dial. Hopefully it is operational. Either way I will be parting out some unneeded parts soon. Stay tuned. Thank you!
Zack

unbeldi

Good for you!
Perhaps you can just leave the other set intact the way the previous owner designed it.  Did you ever check whether it actually worked?

The diagram that you have is correct for a 202 with a 634A subset.

Zack C

Unbeldi,
Yes it actually works great! The AE dial makes a nice rat a tat sound. What actually prompted this whole issue was my VOIP is no longer understanding my dial phones. They did a firmware update and the phone company pretty much left me in the lurch. At any rate the dial gizmo was not working for this phone and my pay phone (AE 3 slot in an Airlight booth). I resolved my pay phone issue by removing a ringer I had hardwired in, then installed what amounted to a miniature subset and low and behold realized my problem with the 202 was not actually the fault of the 202. You See my gizmo worked for 2 other phones with subsets so I thought the 202 needed one too. Just as well, I strive to get these old phones back to original (somewhat original). With all the generations of modifications...define original right? Anyway, going to see how the other dial works out I paid 76 (with shipping) for the 202 with the e1 handset and am happy to get this handset. Hopefully it works ok. The AE dial will be hard to part with...maybe keep it around for another AE project. I am novice at these phones, have an interest in a little of all things old so I have to try to not bog down with to many projects. I will keep you posted on my findings. So thankful to have you experts to help me out.
Zack

unbeldi

Until the mid 1920s it was very common apparently to find AE dials on Western Electric equipment, although WECo already had the No. 2 dial since about 1920, perhaps 1919. The Bell System had only decided in 1919 to finally adopt automatic switching with installations following in short order around the country.  However, for several years they still had contracts with AE to buy step-by-step switches.

AT&T even maintained a Specification (an early type of Bell System Practice) about servicing AE dials.  Later, during WWII it was not uncommon for telephone companies to use any kind of dial they could find to provide service to customers, since WECo had most resources dedication to war efforts and very little stuff was made for the civilian service.

So you can take your phone as an example of the compatibility that could be achieved with various apparatus.

Zack C

Unbeldi, thank you for that historical perspective. Nice to have that insight and thanks again for the help.