News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Mushroom creation almost finished!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, November 28, 2014, 10:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

For the past few days, I've been working on creating my Mushroom phone from spare parts, and the exterior is pretty much complete!

My dad and I used a drill press to drill holes for the light and turnkey. I was originally planning on fitting a separate metal insert in the hole, and attaching the cap to it, but one of the drill bits we used was the exact same diameter as the metal insert piece on the mushroom cap, so the cap fits in the hole by itself snugly!

I decided to go with black for this phone, mainly because the paint we were using took so long to dry, and the majority of the plastic covering the phone was already black. Why paint a perfectly good black housing white? I just polished the housing and added a Bakelite handset with a coiled cord from the early '60s, and it looks good! The cap was painted black, with the grooved area for the lights "path" masked off.

I added a four conductor line cord so I can operate the light once I install it.

I have done no improvements on the inside lately, just the outside. Does anyone have a really good picture of the light "bracket" that's attached to the hookswitch frame, so I can get an idea of what to use to attach the light?

(Previous topic: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12401)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Looks pretty good, here is a picture of the inside on one of my phones.

It appears as if the light is mounted onto a bent switch hook wing. Pic 2 and 3

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 28, 2014, 10:58:03 AM
Looks pretty good, here is a picture of the inside on one of my phones.

It appears as if the light is mounted onto a bent switch hook wing. Pic 2 and 3

Ben
Is the bracket removable from the hookswitch? It looks like it's clamped on.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Sorry Christian,

Yes, the bracket sort of slips over the existing switchoook.

Ben

HarrySmith

Here a few pics of the bracket that clips onto the switch hook, the bulb holder clips onto this bracket. I could not dig up the bulb holder to get a pic, not sure of where I put it after I cleaned up my phone stuff a few months back!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"