News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Red Bar codes

Started by Waterland, January 10, 2015, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterland

Looking through a recent thread regarding a Kellogg red bar there was considerable discussion regarding the codes on the base and what they indicated.  Is there a resource that catalogs all the known 1000 series codes and their meanings?  I have a Red Bar dated 1947 with the code 1000-BA.  From what I've found so far, the B indicates that it originally had a dial blank for manual service, however, mine has a dial, which I had long suspected was a later addition.  Perhaps the area in which this phone was used originally had manual service and later switched over to dial service, I haven't opened the phone up yet to check the date on the dial.  In any case, the phone is in exceptional shape, the dial is very smooth and it dials out and rings in just fine.  Here's a photo for reference:

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

The 1000-series Masterphone model code consisted of  a model number (1xxx) and suffix codes for the ringer and other features. A dial is indicated by a leading D.

So, a D1000-BA indicated that the phone has a dial (D), it is a 1000 type, and it has a biased ringer (B), with high impedance (A).   Medium impedance is B (-BB), and low impedance is C (-BC).  The straight line ringers have codes SX with the X being the same A,B, or C, for impedance.  The frequency ringers have other suffices listed in this table.

If the phone was using cords from the Koiled Kord company, there would be another suffix, -K.

Incidentally, the BA suffix coincided with the WECo designation for high impedance ringer subsets, e.g. 684-BA.

Waterland

There's no D, just 1000-BA, so it would have been manual service initially as I suspected, is that right?

unbeldi

Quote from: Waterland on January 10, 2015, 06:50:53 PM
There's no D, just 1000-BA, so it would have been manual service initially as I suspected, is that right?

Yup.

unbeldi

The difference between a biased ringer and a straight-line ringer is that biased ringers are used for polarity selective ringing on party lines. while straight-line ringers are for individual line service or code ringing.