News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trade: Soft Lt. Beige 554 for Soft 500-Photos

Started by Kenton K, February 28, 2015, 01:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I have a nice 1957 soft plastic light beige 554 telephone that I would like to trade for:

Soft plastic: White, Yellow, Light Beige,

If your feeling generous: Brown, Gray, or Blue

Or a 1964 turquoise.

Thanks!

Ken

Post up a picture of what you have or should I say " If you show me yours, I'll show you mine"  :D

Kenton K

Kenton K

Photos!

Dates are matching 10-1957

Very slighlty faded. Hard to tell. Cord color has faded.

Dial wheel has a chip.

Has original beige backboard. Almost looks rose beige!

Thanks!

What year you looking for? WE or NE?

Doug / Autonut

Kenton K

No matter.

All I need is a soft plastic beige/yellow/white/aqua/turquoise and I'll be a happy camper.

Ken

I may have what you're looking for. What year? Even though I'm in Canada, I am crossing the border March 28 for North Carolina and then Florida. So shipping is no problem.

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice phone, Ken! I'm surprised you don't want to hang onto it, it looks so beautiful and original! That backboard might be a Rose Beige!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

I do want to hang on to it, but I want to complete my 500 collection before tackling the 554. And if its taken me this long on the 500s, just think how long the 554s are going to take!

Ken

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Kenton K on February 28, 2015, 08:41:58 PM
I do want to hang on to it, but I want to complete my 500 collection before tackling the 554. And if its taken me this long on the 500s, just think how long the 554s are going to take!

Ken
Well, at least you're more organized than I am! If I see something (WE-related, of course!) even remotely rare or valuable, I jump right in!

I wish I had a spare color 500 that you want, but I'll keep my eyes out for ya while scouring ebay! ;)
Christian Petterson

Dennis Markham

You might want to re-consider keeping that Light Beige 554 if you eventually plan on collecting them all.  The Light Beige in soft plastic is very difficult to find...in good condition.  A bird in the hand..........

~Dennis

Kenton K

Hmmm. You guys are making me reconsider. Well, I guess I better hold on and think about it.

Dennis, is lt. beige particularly difficult to find, or is it all color 554s in general?

Ken

WesternElectricBen

Ken, maybe I would trade mine for your new 2 tone set?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Light beige in soft plastic is surprisingly difficult to find. I've managed to get a Lt. Beige 500 housing from '57, and I was proud enough of it to display it with hard plastic beige parts.That's how rare it is.

All soft 554 colors are hard to find to some degree. The hardest is said to be white, which I practically impossibly found one from '58 (all-dates-matching) with absolutely no fading. I even use its plastics as an example to compare with other with plastics to make sure they are a perfect white!

Obviously, the one problem with 554s is they're hard to display. But, that being said, there are ways around just hanging them up on a giant wall, like making desk-mounted brackets, or just simply propping them up against a wall on a shelf (not recommended, although I do it :o )

My point is, finding all of the 500 colors before moving on to 554s will take a long time, so I would start collecting 554s now if I were you. Besides, the rare ones out there now in clueless owners' hands at bargain prices will be in stubborn-priced collector's hands before you know it!
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 01, 2015, 12:05:58 AM
All soft 554 colors are hard to find to some degree. The hardest is said to be white, which I practically impossibly found one from '58 (all-dates-matching) with absolutely no fading. I even use its plastics as an example to compare with other with plastics to make sure they are a perfect white!
Really? I shouldn't be letting all of these white phones by.

Ben