News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telstar?

Started by 19and41, March 20, 2015, 02:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I saw the thread on these and saw that some had an interest in these.  This item has been posted for months now, and may be up for a while more.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/4938469969.html
( dead link 03-02-21 )
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

unbeldi

19and41

I have no idea.  My guess would be someone broke the retractor and used a modular replacement.
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

Wish I lived closeby - I have one with a broken smoked-plastic cover - and a working retractor...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

paul-f

Quote from: 19and41 on March 20, 2015, 06:02:09 PM
I have no idea.  My guess would be someone broke the retractor and used a modular replacement.

I agree.

I have repaired several Telstars, Stowaways and Panel phones (WE 750-type) that should have had retractors, but were found with coiled handset cords.  At some point, the retractors became hard to find and were replaced with whatever was handy.

I recently received a panel phone that had a length of inside wire (not very flexible) instead of a regular handset cord.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12840.msg134946#msg134946
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

19and41

You could always try contacting the seller and see if they might be capable of doing a parcel transaction, using a postal money order and a mailing service.
— Arthur C. Clarke