News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first "So-Far-So-Good" Paint Project!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 08, 2015, 10:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I decided to tackle this '31 aluminum D1 by myself by giving it a paint job. I would normally have my dad powdercoat it, but I want to preserve the date on the inside; I wouldn't want to risk melting it off or covering it over with powder. Besides, I want to get some painting practice in!

This is what I basically started with (1st picture): the base was badly corroded around the whole bottom, and the paint was chipping off virtually everywhere else.

I sandblasted it almost entirely down to bare metal (2nd-3rd picture). Fortunately, the corrosion didn't get very far through the metal! I find it interesting that the cord grommet is made of Brass!

I primed it with an anti-rust Primer that also fills in small surface imperfections (4th picture), so any little nicks in the aluminum were filled in. The finish looks almost flawless right now!

I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to get the 1st coat of paint on, but so far it looks like it's going well without issues.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

Great job, Christian! Give us a primer how to do it right, lotsa details.

Thanks, best of luck, and best regards, as always!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

NorthernElectric

When did they start marking those with 'USA' under 'D1'?  I see yours is not so marked.
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks, Bones! There really isn't much of a technique to priming; just make sure to use broad strokes instead of spraying spots, and keep the can at least a foot away from the surface. The primer pretty much does the work by itself! :o

NE, I would guess they started doing that around 1932 or so; mine is an early version from the year after production started. I would guess it's when they switched over to Zinc bodies from Aluminum; it gave WE a chance to alter the lettering when they switched casting methods.
Christian Petterson

tallguy58

NE phones don't have the USA either, so check the bottom for who manufactured it.
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

Quote from: NorthernElectric on April 08, 2015, 11:45:30 PM
When did they start marking those with 'USA' under 'D1'?  I see yours is not so marked.

I 35 (first quarter of 1935); these were still aluminum.
Zinc was not used until I 36 (or possibly late 1935?).

Handset mountings marked "USA" next to the D-x do not have "Western Electric" or patent numbers on the bottom rim..
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

TA-DA!!!

I feel like I used too much paint for this, but it doesn't seem to be dripping or covering the patent dates. This is what it looks like right now, freshly after painting (excuse the messy bathroom it's in)! I'll have to wait another two days before I can clear coat it. The finish is much glossier in person than it looks in the picture, especially in the cradle area.

EDIT: Added a better picture from my iPad.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: tallguy58 on April 09, 2015, 07:52:54 AM
NE phones don't have the USA either, so check the bottom for who manufactured it.
It definitely says "Western Electric" in the patent dates section around the back of the base.
Christian Petterson

Dan/Panther

When you start the clear coat, give it a LIGHT tack coat first. If you apply the clear too heavy on the coats, you may soften the balck, and cause it to crinkle. Trust me, I've got a lot of experience ruining a good paint job with a too heavy finish coat. Just a couple light spray coats let dry between coats then you can go a little heavier, but never spray to heavy of a coat.
If you each completely stripped the housing you can also place the phone in your oven at about 160 Degrees for about 45 minutes or so, that will really improve the hardness of the paint.
I'm assuming you are using standard spray paint. If you are using automotive type paint then it shouldn't be a problem. But you can still bake it.

Dan

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 09, 2015, 12:07:03 PM
When you start the clear coat, give it a LIGHT tack coat first. If you apply the clear too heavy on the coats, you may soften the balck, and cause it to crinkle. Trust me, I've got a lot of experience ruining a good paint job with a too heavy finish coat. Just a couple light spray coats let dry between coats then you can go a little heavier, but never spray to heavy of a coat.
If you each completely stripped the housing you can also place the phone in your oven at about 160 Degrees for about 45 minutes or so, that will really improve the hardness of the paint.
I'm assuming you are using standard spray paint. If you are using automotive type paint then it shouldn't be a problem. But you can still bake it.

Dan

All three coatings that I'm using (Primer, Paint, and Clear Coat) are all the same brand, are Enamel, and are all automotive-type. In fact, each coating is highly recommended to be used with eachother (The primer's can recommends to be used with the black paint I'm using, the black paint's can recommends the same primer, and the clear coat's can recommends that I use the same black paint). The fact that the clear coat is enamel (slower drying) instead of laquer (faster drying) should prevent the black paint from bubbling up and distorting.
Christian Petterson

NorthernElectric

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 09, 2015, 11:30:55 AM
Quote from: tallguy58 on April 09, 2015, 07:52:54 AM
It definitely says "Western Electric" in the patent dates section around the back of the base.

1st thing I did was zoom in on your photo and I was able to read the markings around the base, so I knew it was WE.  Just that that's the 1st time I noticed a WE D1 without the USA mark.  I'm still learning.   :o

Looks much better, BTW.
Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's a better picture of the finish against the light, as the paint is almost completely dry to the touch. It's sort of a semigloss finish, but that will probably change when I get a couple coats of clear on it.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I think I'll give it a 2nd coat tomorrow, because I missed a little underneath the cradle, and I think a 2nd coat will give it more gloss.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

WEBellSystemChristian

I used an off-the-shelf paint by Rust-Oleum. It comes in a typical aerosol can.

I think it looks flat because I didn't use enough paint. The part of the box that got hit with a little more paint than the phone is really glossy.

This is what I used:
Christian Petterson