News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick Transmitter Rebuild

Started by zaphod01, May 31, 2015, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I'm stuck on a WE Type 22 candlestick rebuild! I'm reasonably sure I have the wiring correct (lots of 'extra' connection lugs on a early Type 22). Receiver works fine but transmitter doesn't function.  :(

I have a 229 and a 250 and neither hit a lick. However, I don't trust that either of them work.

Anyone out there do transmitter rebuilds?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

dencins

I use a laptop computer to test candlestick transmitters off the phone.  I took a cord from a headset with a jack that fit in the microphone jack on  the laptop then I use digital recorder software to record while speaking into the transmitter then play it back. 

The laptop provides enough power so the transmitter works.  If you are testing a 229 or 250 one wire goes to the terminal block on the transmitter and the other can be attached to one of the hold down springs.

I have rebuilt many solid back transmitters but if the carbon module is intact there is usually not much that goes wrong with them.

Dennis Hallworth

Sargeguy

Is the wire that goes from the front of the module to the carbon block intact?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jack Ryan

Can you hear or feel the carbon granules moving if you shake the transmitter element?

Don't forget that you can't test the transmitter if it is lying flat on the bench. It has to be in its normal position or the carbon granules won't bridge the circuit.

(Sorry if I'm telling you how to suck eggs)

Jack