News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

correct cords

Started by Netdewt, July 12, 2015, 07:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netdewt

I have a black WE 500 desk phone and a 302, late, in black plastic. The 302 needs all new cords and the 500 needs a line cord.

What is the "correct" setup? Old Phone works doesn't sell coiled cloth covered handset cords really. Also, brown with black seems weird to me, but maybe that's how they came?

For the line cords I want spades to modular. http://www.oldphoneworks.com/cloth-covered-line-cord-spade-modular-various-colors.html

unbeldi

Netdewt

Quote from: unbeldi on July 12, 2015, 07:26:19 PM
Starting in ca. 1948 or 9, black 302s were refurbished with black rubber, or by the early 50s Neoprene, cords (D3AY). Factory new sets may still have been equipped with brown cloth cords until perhaps 51.

Black 500 sets always came with black Neoprene cords, later toward end of 50s, PVC.

Until ca. 1955, 500 sets always had straight handset cords, the retractile cords were initially a customer option between 55 and ca. 56.

So, I guess I could do whatever...

My 302 has a black coiled rubber handset cord that may be original, but it's kinked, dirty, and stinky. It's early 50's, can't recall the exact year. I tried to refurbish it, cleaned it up, but it still has an antique "well used" look.

My 500 is a 1962 I believe, and has a very nice rubber coiled handset cord.

Maybe I'll go brown cloth and straight handset on the 302, and black cloth line cord for the 500.

Wayback Mike

Just because you can't buy a reproduction coiled cloth cord in the color you want doesn't mean you can't have one. 

I wanted a coiled cloth cord to match the ivory painted AE40 that I put together since I couldn't afford a plastic one.  I bought a straight reproduction cord from Old Phone Shop and used the techniques I found on this board regarding cord coiling.

I soaked the cord in hot water, then wrapped it tightly around a wooden dowel.  I think it's either half inch or five eights.  I gave it a good shot of spray starch for good measure and cooked it in the oven for about an hour at 180 degrees - the lowest setting I have.  Straight out of the oven and into the freezer overnight.  It's not quite perfect but it's not too bad, at least in my opinion.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with going with a straight cord.  On this phone it just didn't feel quite right so I figured, what the heck.