Main Menu

Where Did They Get Philips From?

Started by 19and41, August 10, 2015, 09:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

rdelius

Not all type 50 sets were built by AE.Earlier Canadian production was Phillips Electric works

19and41

I just wish the unit was closer to here and the price was closer to reality.   :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

$150 for an AE50 is far too much.  With a bit of patience, you should be able to find one for $50 or even less.  I have an AE50 made by Phillips Electric Works.

Larry

TelePlay

The seller deleted the listing. What was it?

19and41

It was an AE50 that was advertised as a Phillips jukebox telephone for I believe $150.00.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

What I can't believe is someone giving that much for it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Did it sell or did the seller withdraw it?

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: rdelius on August 10, 2015, 09:46:35 AM
Not all type 50 sets were built by AE.Earlier Canadian production was Phillips Electric works
From 1935 and until the mid 50's, Strowger/AE phones were manufactured by the Eugene F. Phillips Electrical Works owned by the Automatic Electric Company (a subsidiary of the Theodore Gary and Company). As such, it was at that time, the Canadian manufacturing arm of AE. In 1953, a new 1.5 million dollar 124,000 square foot Automatic Electric factory was built at 100 Strowger Boulevard on Schofield Hill, by the Theodore Gary Company and it officially opened on Sept. 22, 1954.

The design of the new plant became the template for the new Northlake plant.

The Phillips plant then transferred ownership over to British Calendar Cables and was used to manufacture cables. At the end of its life, it wound up under the broad arm of Canada Wire and Cables, and was finally demolished in June/July 2008 - much of its production still went to AE and is listed in their catalogues, and the two plants were always closely associated.

How do I know? I grew up there, and most of our neighbours worked at one plant or the other. Since then, I have collected every tidbit I could on both plants. The fact Brockville was a telephone town led in large part to my becoming a collector.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

I hope all the excellent information passed back and forth here kept your minds sharp.  It was interesting to find out yet more about my favorite phone.  I don't think the seller had any idea about what he was writing about other than what was on the label.  My guess is that someone told him he would get a better price on Ebay.  That area's economy doesn't support such prices for a phone.  I guess I mainly put it up to show the slim pickin's we have here for phones.  If they find anything near old, the nail a price to the ceiling and leave it there for a few years.

Here is one other old unit.  Note how long it has been up.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/atd/5096440942.html ( dead link 04-21-21 )
— Arthur C. Clarke