News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who do you think made the best telephones?

Started by Partyline4, November 07, 2015, 01:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I have been sampling many different telephones over a few years, and I'm not very picky. If it can outlive me, it's a good phone!

I was wondering if the forum is in some sort of consensus for what manufacturer made the best phones?

I'm talking about quality of materials, sound quality, electronics longevity, EVERYTHING!

It's funny, because I think that A.E. has the best sounding equipment, and that W.E. has the best manufactured equipment.

If I were to give a #1 spot to anyone, it would probably be tied between A.E. and W.E.

What do you think?

compubit

Better be careful - around here, that'd be like talking religion or politics in the workplace... (ducking  ;) )

A lot depends on when the item was made, and how well it has survived over the years.  I'm guessing the concensus around here would definitely be "pre-1984", but beyond that...

Personally, I'm a fan on the late 60s/70s WE - such variety in colors and styles, but still built with quality in mind.

Right now, I have only 3 active post-mid-80s (non-cell) phones in my house: 1 is the system phone for my Panasonic KX-TA624; next is a GE trimline-style phone (that came with the Panasonic, and it's my "grab" phone for testing lines); and finally, I have a cordless phone which again I mostly use for testing (it connects to my Panasonic).
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Tech&Music

I'm a bit partial to Ericsson, but I might be biased in the fact most of my phones are Ericsson. I just like 'em and they often just work.

dsk

It is lots of things to consider, On my relatively short 24V line, my AE40 on my desk works great, and has the nicest design I have seen so far. This is not a perfect telephone, but for me, just now, it is the best.

:-)  dsk

andre_janew

I think it would be a tie between W.E. and A.E. for the reasons Partyline4 mentioned.

WesternElectricBen

Who made the best telephones?

Obviously my answer is subjective, however a honest to goodness WE 500 from the late 50s or early 60s would be my choice. I like them as I feel like I can pick it up, dial it, have a clear call, and hang up without worrying about the phone. Meaning, the dials are easy to adjust and maintain, the cases are robust (for the most part), and the call clarity is exceptional. I do not worry about trivial things like pulling the cord out of the base, or being delicate when handling the finger wheel as I do with some other telephone sets. So, I'd say Western.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

I think WE was the best and most innovative telephone equipment manufacturer, but I think AE came in at a close second. While Western Electric was the leading manufacturer in the country, Automatic Electric was just about the only other maker that didn't copy Western. Almost everyone else was buying patent rights from them for the 500, but AE used their own completely different design: the 80. Even then, the concepts under the hood, such as easy-opening hookswitch contacts and silent dial mech, meant that it was better in some ways than the 500.

I believe they were the only major company that lived into the '80s without using any Western Electric telephone designs.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

Oh but AE did copy the design of the self compensating network.  Pretty much verbatim. Check the history in Ralph Meyer's book "Old Time Telephones"  Ma Bell shared the design with others.  AE wanted to maintain its outward uniqueness. but the technology of the 500 type self compensating network was copied with Bell's blessings.
-Bill G

andre_janew

I have an AE80 and the network looks different than that of a WE 500.  It is new enough that it doesn't have the compensator adjustment.

Phonesrfun

The physical appearance of the network board on the AE80 is obviously different than the potted can that WE used.  The electronics are the part that is the same.
-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 10, 2015, 01:53:38 PM
Oh but AE did copy the design of the self compensating network.  Pretty much verbatim. Check the history in Ralph Meyer's book "Old Time Telephones"  Ma Bell shared the design with others.  AE wanted to maintain its outward uniqueness. but the technology of the 500 type self compensating network was copied with Bell's blessings.
Like everything else, it wasn't a direct copy of a design that AE was lazy enough to get an exact replica from WE on, it was a concept of an electrical device that WE discovered first, and AE needed to buy the rights to make their own version of it for their phones, to keep them up to date.
Christian Petterson

twocvbloke

I think the question of who made the best is somewhat subjective, until I bought my first 500, the only vintage phones I knew of were GPO phones, so became used to them and compared to the stuff offered today, I'd say that a lot of the GPO designs were "the best" (they're not, but, they are unique that, like the 500, were often copied abroad in looks), but to be honest the question is like asking who the best car manufacturer is, or what the best recipe for fried chicken is, everyone will differ, and probably get into an argument too... :-\

I just like 'em all... ;D

Jack Ryan

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 10, 2015, 06:52:25 PM
I think the question of who made the best is somewhat subjective, until I bought my first 500, the only vintage phones I knew of were GPO phones, so became used to them and compared to the stuff offered today, I'd say that a lot of the GPO designs were "the best"
I agree but I would say that it is not just "somewhat subjective"; it is totally subjective. It is difficult to say what is best without knowing what exists. Most people will prefer what they grew up with.

(they're not, but, they are unique that, like the 500, were often copied abroad in looks)
Well... were any GPO telephones designed buy the GPO? The manufacturers designed the telephones and the GPO accepted what it liked.
Tele No 2 - Western Electric
Tele No 162 and 232 - Siemens Brothers
Tele No 3xx - British Ericsson ultimately derived from LM Ericsson
Tele No 7xx - Mostly British Ericsson.

That process resulted is the best available at the time that was cost effective. One could say that the GPO had the best phones that were available in the UK (and one would probably be right).

France had a very similar regime, the PTT took the best offerings from the local manufacturers and like the UK, the local manufacturers were backed by their international parents. There was plenty of expertise and experience to draw from.

but to be honest the question is like asking who the best car manufacturer is, or what the best recipe for fried chicken is, everyone will differ, and probably get into an argument too... :-\

Very true

I just like 'em all... ;D

Me too.

Most manufacturers adopted technologies from other manufacturers if they looked useful. Western Electric adopted Automatic Electric's dial technology.

A can of worms really but an interesting topic none-the-less.

Jack

HarrySmith

This topic could definitely be "a can of worms" or a big argument but so far everyone has sidestepped it nicely! I have to agree with a few things already said: it is completely subjective, most people like what they grew up with, including me! I grew up in SNETCO territory and had a WE 500 installed in my bedroom when I was 15 years old, that would be 1972, so I am partial to WE. I really like the art deco style of the AE models also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 10, 2015, 08:21:19 PM
This topic could definitely be "a can of worms" or a big argument but so far everyone has sidestepped it nicely! I have to agree with a few things already said: it is completely subjective, most people like what they grew up with, including me! I grew up in SNETCO territory and had a WE 500 installed in my bedroom when I was 15 years old, that would be 1972, so I am partial to WE. I really like the art deco style of the AE models also.
I agree, we haven't gotten mad at eachother or been condescending to eachother, it's just a simple, friendly debate.

Besides, what a dumb thing to get into a huge argument over: 'What telephone manufacturer from the 1880s to the 1980s was the best at manufacturing telephone equipment?' At least it's an intelligent debate! :P
Christian Petterson