News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Homemade Subset?

Started by oldguy, February 06, 2016, 08:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I picked up this box for $2.00 at an estate sale today. It looks like it may have been a subset or ringer box at one time. There was some old phone stuff there but it was all way over priced (of course I'm cheap, so just my opinion). The box was with some assorted junk in the garage. The seller must not have known it was some of the phone stuff. It had a $4.00 price tag, so I offered him $2.00 & he took it. 3 of my phones need subset. (WE 40AL, AE 21 & a WE D1/202) I have a WE 554 with no housing that I was saving for parts. Is there a way to use the WE 554 guts in my new metal box for a subset for any of the phones I listed.
Gary

poplar1

There should be a number inside like 105A (?), indicating the part number.
This is not a subset (bell box). Rather, was used for mounting KTUs (Key Telephone Units) used with multi-line phones of the 1A
Key System introduced c. 1938.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Second Poplar1's observation.
It is a 105A apparatus box.

Here is a look at an NOS example as delivered from the factory.

Babybearjs

I'm sure you could use it as a subset, you'd have to design it though.... its really nice....
John

Southernphoneman

Quote from: oldguy on February 06, 2016, 08:14:11 PM
I picked up this box for $2.00 at an estate sale today. It looks like it may have been a subset or ringer box at one time. There was some old phone stuff there but it was all way over priced (of course I'm cheap, so just my opinion). The box was with some assorted junk in the garage. The seller must not have known it was some of the phone stuff. It had a $4.00 price tag, so I offered him $2.00 & he took it. 3 of my phones need subset. (WE 40AL, AE 21 & a WE D1/202) I have a WE 554 with no housing that I was saving for parts. Is there a way to use the WE 554 guts in my new metal box for a subset for any of the phones I listed.
You mentioned using a spare 554, and yes, all you need is the network and a ringer from the 554 (C4A) you would have to mount the componants somehow but it can be done and you would need to bridge terminal RR to L1 with a jumper wire, and I would only use it for the 202, I think it can be used with the 40 AL but wouldn't recommend it

unbeldi

The 105As are really nice boxes for all kinds of conceivable purposes, if one doesn't need them for a 1A1 wiring system.
I picked up a large box full of them at one time, most new in-box, for next to nothing, sold a couple to pay for the original purchase.

Certainly, there is enough room for any induction coil and condenser, and perhaps for a small ringer, like the P1A.

oldguy

Thanks for all the info guys, good stuff.  Even though it wasn't originally a subset, I think I will still use it as a subset housing. I can do this without modifying it. My plan is to use the existing mounting holes to mount the cut down 554 base. this way I can use the 105A apparatus box as designed if I decide to at a later date. I found this thread "W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams" (I don't Know how to post links to other threads) & found some good wiring info. does this all seem right?
Gary

unbeldi

Quote from: oldguy on February 06, 2016, 10:16:20 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, good stuff.  Even though it wasn't originally a subset, I think I will still use it as a subset housing. I can do this without modifying it. My plan is to use the existing mounting holes to mount the cut down 554 base. this way I can use the 105A apparatus box as designed if I decide to at a later date. I found this thread "W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams" (I don't Know how to post links to other threads) & found some good wiring info. does this all seem right?

Yes, those should work just fine.
Some people will object to the wiring with a four-conductor cord to a 425B network, but I fully support this as a valid method as it does not introduce any electrical mistakes into the circuit.  However, it uses only one half of the primary winding of the induction coil—notice that terminal C is not used—and thus effects a little higher transformation ratio, but this can be beneficial as it elevates the sound level just slightly, not much, but might be good with old transducers that are perhaps not operating anymore at optimal levels.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: unbeldi on February 06, 2016, 10:22:50 PM

Yes, those should work just fine.
Some people will object to the wiring with a four-conductor cord to a 425B network, but I fully support this as a valid method as it does not introduce any electrical mistakes into the circuit.  However, it uses only one half of the primary winding of the induction coil—notice that terminal C is not used—and thus effects a little higher transformation ratio, but this can be beneficial as it elevates the sound level just slightly, not much, but might be good with old transducers that are perhaps not operating anymore at optimal levels.

That wiring has worked very well for me too. 
-Bill G

oldguy

Thanks for all the input guys. Unbeldi, you mentioned four-conductor cord. My 1934 D1 doesn't have a line cord. Is it supposed something other than a 4 wire cord?
Gary

unbeldi

Quote from: oldguy on February 07, 2016, 06:16:41 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Unbeldi, you mentioned four-conductor cord. My 1934 D1 doesn't have a line cord. Is it supposed something other than a 4 wire cord?

No cord at all?

A D1 can either have a three-conductor mounting cord, or a four-conductor cord.  With three conductors it would make a 102-type telephone, but with four conductors in the cord it is a 202-type telephone, and each requires a specific type of subset as well,  a 534A and a 634A/684A, respectively.  The 202 with the 634A or a 684A subset is an anti-sidetone instrument, which had much improved audio performance.

1934 is probably just after Western Electric stopped making new 102 type telephones. I think we have observed some 1933 examples new-in-box.  Although the new anti-sidetone telephones were introduced in 1930/31, few were actually installed the first couple years, because of the poor economic climate during the recession, when actually more telephones were disconnected than newly installed.
So, I would guess that most likely your set should be wired as an anti-sidetone 202 with a 634 or 684 subset. This requires the 4-conductor cord.

oldguy

Thanks unbeldi, good information. I am planning on using the correct subset at some point (when I can find one at the right price), so thanks for the part numbers. I figure I can use my homemade one for testing phone after I replace it with the correct one.
Gary

unbeldi

You're welcome,  and yes, a 425B network makes a fine subset for long time operation.
And when you do find the period-correct device, this one can serve as testing device for other phones if you are in the habit of growing the population in your environs.

Jim Stettler

edit to add link "W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams"
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=784.msg9309#msg9309
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

I have made subset by myselves, one of them is here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16538.msg171097#msg171097

Some more info here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15985.msg165538#msg165538
Its just depending on what you have, then we make a subset  ;)

dsk