News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Won a 1954 Seattle phone book on Goodwill.

Started by Greg G., February 13, 2016, 12:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This increases my Seattle phone book collection by 33.33 50%.  I also have two others, 1939 and 1941.  It's not in the greatest of shape, but it's intact.  I collect these for mostly reference and of course just for the fun of it, since I grew up and spent most of my adult life in the Greater Seattle area, as did most of my relatives.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

unbeldi

Ok, we know whom to call when needing to look up office names in Seattle.   ;D

Greg G.

Quote from: unbeldi on February 13, 2016, 12:48:21 PM
Ok, we know whom to call when needing to look up office names in Seattle.   ;D

Or relatives.  One person who was apparently doing genealogy research managed to find a previous post and asked me to look up his uncle in the 1941 directory: 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5619.msg76479#msg76479
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on February 13, 2016, 12:36:15 PM
This increases my Seattle phone book collection by 33.33%.  I also have two others, 1939 and 1941.

You shortchange yourself (or you're collection) Briny! You've increased your Seattle phone book collection by 50% and this one is now 33.3% of your entire collection.

I have a couple of old Vancouver phone books around too, they are a good reference item to have on hand to check many different aspects about the developement in telephony over the years in your city.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 13, 2016, 07:31:24 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on February 13, 2016, 12:36:15 PM
This increases my Seattle phone book collection by 33.33%.  I also have two others, 1939 and 1941.

You shortchange yourself (or you're collection) Briny! You've increased your Seattle phone book collection by 50% and this one is now 33.3% of your entire collection.

Terry

You're right, whatever.  :)
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on February 13, 2016, 09:44:35 PM
You're right, whatever.  :)

Three books is three books no matter how you count them!

Good to see things like this donated to charity to be sold. I bet 90% of people cleaning out stuff from parents houses etc would just toss a book like this thinking it was nothing but garbage.

Quote from: Brinybay on February 13, 2016, 09:54:01 PM
Maybe we should have a child board just for old directories.

May not be a bad idea. I know that DavePEI had some posts about his phone book collection as well as others icluding Autonut's book. I will do some looking around and thinking about that.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Many times the thrift store toss or scrap these things as well.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 13, 2016, 10:01:43 PM

May not be a bad idea. I know that DavePEI had some posts about his phone book collection as well as others icluding Autonut's book. I will do some looking around and thinking about that.

Terry

That may not be a bad idea. I have a 1967 Toronto phone book as well, plus a phone book cabinet to put them on display when needed.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13604.0

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15498.0

TelePlay

Well, we sort of do have one at

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=93.0

which was created by DavePEI about 2 years ago, unless you are thinking of a board just for directories only.

AE_Collector

I sort of had that in the back of my mind, that there may already be an intended area for directories. Problem solved!

Thanks John,

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 14, 2016, 12:21:18 PM
I sort of had that in the back of my mind, that there may already be an intended area for directories. Problem solved!

Thanks John,

Terry

Thanks!  It will be a good place for show-and-tell (which I like doing as much as collecting the phones!) and a resource for people like Hudsran who was just doing genealogy research.
- Mike Row
e

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 14, 2016, 12:21:18 PM

Thanks John,

Terry

Terry.

You may want to move this one as well.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13604.0

Doug

<edit> Done. Terry