News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringing both lines

Started by Babybearjs, March 02, 2016, 11:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

OK Guys! Here's a good question.... I have 2 landlines. 377-2097 and 3770-4038.... now.. I have a L1A outdoor bell and a KS-19502-L1 SPDT switch... IF I wire the switch with BOTH Ring wires to the bell and finish the connection to only 1 of the Tip wires.... will the bell ring on BOTH lines based on the position of the switch? (L1, or L2 Respectfully) Or can I tie the Tip wire to a GND?
John

Phonesrfun

What you are trying to achieve is the equivalent of a key system's common audible signal.  I would say that you need a key system or a Panasonic 308/616 or equivalent.  Or with some relays and a ringing generator you could rig up your own common audible, but not by doing it the way you are wondering about.  You don't want to send ringing current from one line back up the second line to the central office.  If it's a regular CO, they might frown on that.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask because I wasn't sure if the tip side of each line is common.   
John

AE_Collector

The Tip side of two CO lines are not common with each other. If shorted together you will get cross talk. I cant picture what you are trying to accomplish exactly. Two lines and 1 or 2 ringers? What will the switch do?

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 06, 2016, 06:20:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I wanted to ask because I wasn't sure if the tip side of each line is common.   

Maybe pre-1880, where there was only one line wire, and ground.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 06, 2016, 06:20:28 PM

I think you are confusing the fact that typically the tip side is at ground potential with being grounded.

The tip side is not grounded, but has a potential that is almost at ground potential, actually a volt or so below, when you measure the voltage between tip and a rod driven into the ground sufficiently, such as a metallic water pipe.  The ring side is 48 volts more negative w/r/t tip.

JimHyak

What you need is a ring activated relay - if you don't know how to roll your own, use something like a Velleman VM144 but change the relay to a DPDT type. Wire the ringer T&R to the relay commons, the line with the relay to the NO contacts and the other line to the NC contacts. When the line with the relay rings, it switches the ringer over to that line, else the ringer is connected to the other line. If you are handy, you can create a relay circuit which is line powered. And make sure your relay will handle ringer voltage.
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Babybearjs

Yup.... that's what I'm going to have to do.... I was hoping a SPDT would work, even having to use a DPDT switch would do the job....
John