News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dallas, we have a problem...

Started by compubit, May 21, 2016, 06:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I'm not sure how to mount the 2554 in my parents' new kitchen... (Just updated the photo...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

andre_janew

I see what you mean.  It does look a tad cramped.

compubit

Gotta love 21st Century Builders - the house is less than 3 years old, and there's no central
Home Base for wiring... Coax into each room for satellite, but 1 voice and 0 data...  Yes, wireless is great, but wired is better!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

This should work, if you can get it to stay on hook . . .     ::)

AE_Collector

Assuming that you don't want to drill a tile to put anchors in, I would say you will take advantage of the fact that the tiles (what are they....18" square?) are mounted at 45 degree angle, mount the phone above and possibly slightly left of the jack screwing it top and bottom into the mortar line (possibly using inserts/ anchors). Then you can attach a short line cord coming out the bottom to plug into the jack.

Or you could lose the Jack completely and mount the phone lower to cover the electrical box where the Jack is. You may be able to use one of the electrical boxes screws for the bottom screw to hold the phone to the wall. Remember you can put a new hole in the backplate of the phone (assuming it isn't a valuable collectors item phone) to line up with the upper grout line.

Other inventive ideas would include making a wooden backboard for the phone that could potentially anchored to the wall using just the two screws into the electrical box and then mount the phone to the backboard.

Keep the phone as low as possible as the handset is going to get bashed against the underside of the top cabinets when answering calls.

Terry

TelePlay

Okay, Terry went serious on me so here's my suggestion.

What about creating a vertical backboard that runs from the granite counter top to the bottom of the cabinet, a backboard that matches the cabinets. Creating a raceway behind the board for the cable from the phone to the jack and using the cabinet wood as the main mount and double stick tape on the bottom would make it solid but removable without doing damage to the tile wall.

I do believe they put the power outlet and phone jack low to prevent the look of cords handing down from mid wall. Easier to hide the cordage when starting out low.

jsowers

Are you tied to a black 2554 or would you be open to suggestions? Looking at your avatar, I think a pink 2702 might be a better and more harmonious choice, and it lights up under the dark cabinet overhang. Also a desk model Trimline would work well here too. Neither of them take up much counter space. See my roughly cobbled picture below for an idea.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on May 21, 2016, 10:30:10 PM
Okay, Terry went serious on me so here's my suggestion.

Well, your original version looks as though it will work too. You've got the handset right lying on the counter top in one end.....Velcro on the receiver end and cradle should keep the hookswitch on hook.

But a counter top to tight under the cabinets wood pedestal should work as well. If a tight enough fit no fasteners at all may be required.

I agree that a compact style desk phone could be practical as well. But how about a recessed panel phone cut into that tile wall with a diamond saw? We are so helpful here aren't we!

Terry

Babybearjs

Oh brother.... I'd just change the jack and use a deskset....
John

Dan/Panther

Mount it on the wall next to the end cabinet, then run the wire discretely under the cabinet in white wire.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

compubit

In reality, it's my parent's house, and there will probably be no phone there... We're porting their existing number over to a cell phone, so that they can keep it. Time Warner won't port, as it's a different rate center...  I'll probably get one of the Bluetooth/Analog adapters to wire up the cordless phones...

Jim