News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

James May: The Reassembler - The Telephone

Started by twocvbloke, May 24, 2016, 05:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

He did do something difficult!  He put that one spring back in place! A spring like that is not easy to get back in place.  I should know because I've dealt with springs like that on a bit larger scale.  The rope starters on lawn mower engines use that same type of spring and they're not easy to get back in place once they are removed.

twocvbloke

Quote from: andy1702 on January 14, 2017, 03:35:32 PMIf we must have 'Top Gear' bring back William Woolard and make it a proper motoring magazine show again.

But they did do that, they moved to Channel 5 and called it Fifth Gear...  ;D

QuoteBack to the Reassembler... Did you notice he didn't do any of the difficult bits, like the wiring for example?

I'm considering doing something similar for Youtube Live. Sort of 'Phone fixing live' perhaps. The difference is I'd do it all live and answer questions from viewers as it went on. Watch this space...

Andy.

Apparently he hates soldering, as mentioned many times in the show, so maybe he had help from one of the people watching him to do the wiring... ;D

Quote from: andre_janew on January 14, 2017, 04:20:21 PMThe rope starters on lawn mower engines use that same type of spring and they're not easy to get back in place once they are removed.

Indeed, they are quite lethal when they escape, thankfully I've survived such an ordeal with my small engines (despite one of them trying!), but the spring form one of my 746's dials did shoot out and catch me on the lip, resulting in a bit of leakage... :o