News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What happens now??

Started by Stan the Man, July 22, 2016, 08:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan the Man

StanS,.. The easy answer is yes, I have descent cell service outside the building.. If I had signal inside, I could use the Xlink.. I could use a external cell booster, but thats just more expense, and more wall warts, and I just don't want to go that route..
I liked the idea of mounting the Xlink in the house and just leaving my phone in the house,.. but I use my phone for so many other things than just a phone, I need it with me most of the time..
   For years the only service we could get was satellite internet.. No DSL.. Then they put in a 4G LTE tower down here somewhere, and we got a Verizon hot spot,.. What a pain.. In the last few months they have been running fiber-optic cable everywhere.. Now we have a nice internet connection, all the bells and whistles.. We've been paying $75/month for a hard line,.. Wife wants it gone.. Bundle she says, will save us a ton of money.. If it weren't for the house alarm, she would have killed the POTS long ago.. So the AT&T bundle is what I am faced with..
I am looking for the easiest, most simple way to use my old phone.. :( Will the dialgizmo ring my old phone??

Stan

Mr. Bones

It seems like all of the most practical, and effective solutions have been presented by the kind, sharing, and knowledgeable members that we have here, but I wanted to put another spin on the "We Must Bundle!" imperative that is being imposed upon your "old phone"

I noted, repeatedly, that you referred to your "old phone" in the singular tense... :o :o :o

<tongue in cheek>

If you were to have, let's say, several hundred, or so, to pick a round number, of operational telephones, then the cost of the landline would be far more justifiable, imho! ;)

More than one way to skin a cat. ;)

</tongue in cheek> ;D ;D ;D

Just sayin'...

Best regards
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

mentalstampede

All the dialgizmo does is convert pulse to tone for dialing purposes. The VOIP line should be able to ring the phone without any extra equipment.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Stan S

Stan
Putting the Xlink in the house won't help you.
As I suggested, try and find what was called 'a passive repeater' many years ago. It's two antennas connected together by a coax cable. One antenna goes outside where the cell signal is strong. The second antenna is mounted inside the building. The two antennas must be TUNED to the cell frequencies.
When New York City was toying with the idea of cell service in tunnels, passive repeaters were being considered. I don't know if they were ever used.
Stan S.

Stan the Man

Mr. Bones,.. I see your point, and I am inclined to agree.. If it were not for the fact, I already have 50 or so "old" tube radios ;D..
Honestly though, I have more than one "classic" phone.. The AE three slot just happens to be my crown jewel ..
I really do need cell service in my shop, so I will address that issue first.. After that I do believe the Xlink will fit the bill..
I've looked at the Xlink and I like it.. I will hang onto my POTS line as long as she will let me,.. and when it goes I'll be prepared..
I do appreciate everyone's input.. Its nice to be able to ask a question and hear multiple views/solutions.. Sometimes I have ideas, but no direction.. Sometimes I have NO idea, just questions.. :P   

Stan

trainman

A lot of VOIP ATAs dont support pulse dialing. So the Dial Gizmo takes care of that.