News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric model 500 L/M ringer question

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, July 02, 2016, 06:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

I have a 1961 model 500 set that I got at an antique store today, and I have a question about the ringer. When the line is called, the set doesn't ring, and there are 2 sets of wires coming out of the ringer coil, so 4 wires total. One of the wires is a black wire. I am trying to figure out where these wires need to go on the network for the phone to ring. The ringer wires were disconnected and has tape over them when I opened up after bringing it home. I also tested the ringer using a magneto, and it did ring, but only with the black wire and the other wire on the 'bottom' of the coil.  Also to note, the model is a 500 but there is an asterisk after 500, so it looks like this: 500* Does this have anything to do with why the ringer isn't hooked up? What does it mean? Thanks!
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

rdelius

Try the following
R-L1
Bk -L2
Wh-K
Rd Wh=A
There 2 coils in one package and they are wired in series across the line with a capacator between them

jsowers

Here is the first thing that came up when I searched on 500 ringer diagram, if you'd like a picture.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15870.msg164545#msg164545
Jonathan

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: rdelius on July 02, 2016, 06:43:34 PM
Try the following
R-L1
Bk -L2
Wh-K
Rd Wh=A
There 2 coils in one package and they are wired in series across the line with a capacator between them

Also, there is no wire soldered to terminal L1. Is this related to the ringing issue?
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Holtzer-Cabot

I have a 1961 model 500 set that I got at an antique store today, and I have a question about the ringer. When the line is called, the set doesn't ring, and there are 2 sets of wires coming out of the ringer coil, so 4 wires total. One of the wires is a black wire. I am trying to figure out where these wires need to go on the network for the phone to ring. The ringer wires were disconnected and has tape over them when I opened up after bringing it home. I also tested the ringer using a magneto, and it did ring, but only with the black wire and the other wire on the 'bottom' of the coil.  Also to note, the model is a 500 but there is an asterisk after 500, so it looks like this: 500* Does this have anything to do with why the ringer isn't hooked up? What does it mean? Thanks! Also, there is no wire soldered to the end of terminal L1.

rdelius

The telephone line cord connects to the L1 and L2 terminals.No soldering

Holtzer-Cabot

I know, but to the left of the terminal, there is a hole where I see on some other photos of 500s and a few other 500s I own have a wire soldered there.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 02, 2016, 08:21:07 PM
Pictures might be helpful.
I started a new thread with some pictures, that one is better. :)

RotarDad

It looks like there is a terminal strip under the dial.  I wonder if that is an L/M 500 (a version used with 1a2 business systems).  If the line cord is attached to the terminal strip, then there needs to be a path for the ringer signal to to reach the ringer.  I believe you can either bring the line cord back to L1 and and L2 on the network, or connect your red & black ringer wires to the appropriate red & green wire connections on their terminal strip under the dial.
Paul

unbeldi

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on July 02, 2016, 08:22:54 PM
I started a new thread with some pictures, that one is better. :)

Continuing here would be better.  Why start another?

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: RotarDad on July 02, 2016, 08:34:42 PM
It looks like there is a terminal strip under the dial.  I wonder if that is an L/M 500 (a version used with 1a2 business systems).  If the line cord is attached to the terminal strip, then there needs to be a path for the ringer signal to to reach the ringer.  I believe you can either bring the line cord back to L1 and and L2 on the network, or connect your red & black ringer wires to the appropriate red & green wire connections on their terminal strip under the dial.
I just noticed that it is an L/M 500! And there is a terminal strip under the dial, with only two connections on it: a black wire and a yellow wire coming from the line cord. How would I wire this properly?

unbeldi

Please consult the topic that Jsowers recommended, it really should clear up the issue.

Here is the diagram from that post:

The L1 terminal on older sets had the green-slate wire to the hook switch soldered, but on some newer 425-type network they used spade connectors for that wire.  The latter is pictured in the given Forum topic.

Holtzer-Cabot

Okay! I found out that my set is an L/M 500.

unbeldi

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on July 02, 2016, 08:43:59 PM
Okay! I found out that my set is an L/M 500.

Your set is either a 500L or a 500M. Yes, those have a separate terminal board and the L1 terminal is not connected to the hook switch, that wire now goes to the board.
Wiring is identical in principle, but slightly different in terms of connections only.