News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Dial Identification

Started by tekuhn, October 18, 2016, 12:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Wow, no complicated spring pile-ups in that dial!

I like the noise these dials make.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 18, 2017, 12:05:07 PM
Wow, no complicated spring pile-ups in that dial!

The 1011B handset was a wonder in complexity !

ka1axy

I have two of these 103A dials, and they both run slow. Has anyone else run into this? Any hints on disassembly or getting it to run at speed? I'm wondering if the drive spring wears out?

I also have the matching 1011B butt set. The rubber casing seems to be exuding an oily sheen...any suggestions for remedying this, or is it the material degrading and not something that can be arrested or remedied?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: ka1axy on September 23, 2021, 11:55:48 AM
I have two of these 103A dials, and they both run slow. Has anyone else run into this? Any hints on disassembly or getting it to run at speed? I'm wondering if the drive spring wears out?

I also have the matching 1011B butt set. The rubber casing seems to be exuding an oily sheen...any suggestions for remedying this, or is it the material degrading and not something that can be arrested or remedied?
Steve H for dials. Someone will post his contact info.

My guess on the oily sheen is that someone oiled it. Clean it with dawn dish soap and water.
There are some threads regarding protecting rubber once you have cleaned it.
Just my opinions,
Good Luck,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim Stettler on September 23, 2021, 12:09:44 PM
Steve H for dials. Someone will post his contact info.

My guess on the oily sheen is that someone oiled it. Clean it with dawn dish soap and water.
There are some threads regarding protecting rubber once you have cleaned it.
Just my opinions,
Good Luck,
Jim
jydsk@tds.net
Kidphone

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

ka1axy

Update: SteveH adjusted my dial, which is now reinstalled in its 1011B test set, and works like a champ. I have sent him a second (spare) 103A for the same treatment. He was able to adjust the governor and the mark/space ratio and the dial now works (not all numbers were being recognised & it was noticeably slow). Apparently, these dials get slower as they age (don't we all!)

Thanks for the advice.  Now, here's some of my own: I accidentally over-stretched the 1011B housing and split off one side of the dial housing. Oops! I thought it was trash, but decided to try some Gorilla Glue on it. It worked! The only thing you need to remember is that Gorilla Glue needs a film of moisture to work, so after cleaning both surfaces, give them a misting, then shake most of it off, then apply gle and clamp overnight. You can see the repaired break between 6 & 7 in the attached photo.