News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE colors white and antique white, #19, 21.

Started by Greg G., November 19, 2009, 01:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I didn't think I'd could tell the difference, and looking at them under normal lighting, I couldn't, until I took a picture.  The camera always highlights color differences.

Left is AE color #21, antique white.  Right one is AE color #19, white.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Briny, I thought from the N code on the older phone's schematic that it was Antique White. If that's the case, it means that's the one on the right is #21 Antique White, not that it's that important. Both phones look the pretty much same color to me, but from the fingerwheel I can tell the one on the left is newer and maybe the older one on the right may be a tiny bit darker, which would seem to be in line with the "antique" part. I know next to nothing about AE colors, except what I see on the color chart that Paul Fassbender has on his site. I wish he had pictures to help ID the colors.

Jorge, do you know anything about the difference? Why did they make two different colors of white? And then ivory too? I wonder if the colors were made at different times, like WE dark beige and light beige?
Jonathan

JorgeAmely

According to Paul's AE colors page, there is only one color of white for AE80 phones and that is #19. AE80 Ivory phones were made in soft plastic and ABS and that corresponds to code #13.

Can you post pictures of the bottom where the numbers and codes are printed?
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: JorgeAmely on November 19, 2009, 12:57:08 PM
According to Paul's AE colors page, there is only one color of white for AE80 phones and that is #19. AE80 Ivory phones were made in soft plastic and ABS and that corresponds to code #13.

Can you post pictures of the bottom where the numbers and codes are printed?

I was going by the same chart http://www.paul-f.com/AEcolors.htm which lists White as #19 and Antique White as #21.

Here's the bottoms.  I was going by the schematics document in the monophone for the color code, since it wasn't visible on the bottom.

Looking at these again, I may have miscounted the 4th & 5th digits on the Goodwill phone (the one on the left).  You can't see the digits very well unless you hold it at the right angle to the light, but it reads N, B or 8, 82219 CXX.  If that's a B and not an 8, then it would read NB 82219 CXX, which would make them both color code #19, White.  

Here's the instructions for deciphering the codes per Paul's chart.  
QuoteThe color code can generally be found in the code stamped on the bottom of the telephone.
The 4th & 5th digits are the color of the telephone when it was manufactured.
(Housings were often painted or replaced as phones were refurbished.)

Example: NC802100 CSA  = NC802 (model) 10 (color: beige) 0 CSA (dial & ringer)

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

An ancient thread, before I was here on the CRPF. Just to confirm, AE80's were NOT made in Antique White. AE 80E's were but not 80's.  Antique White is half way between Ivory and White and it replaced Ivory in the newer AE sets. Then as available colors continued to be reduced, Antique White replace White as well leaving it the only color in that range.

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_collector on November 13, 2012, 01:32:05 AM
An ancient thread, before I was here on the CRPF. Just to confirm, AE80's were NOT made in Antique White. AE 80E's were but not 80's.  Antique White is half way between Ivory and White and it replaced Ivory in the newer AE sets. Then as available colors continued to be reduced, Antique White replace White as well leaving it the only color in that range.

Terry

That's perfectly ok IMHO to revive old threads.  They're white, thanks for that clarification.  But do I still have these?  Now I have to go and look for them, they're boxed up if I still have them.  No reason I would have parted with them.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

That's perfectly ok IMHO to revive old threads.  They're white, thanks for that clarification.  But do I still have these?  Now I have to go and look for them, they're boxed up if I still have them.  No reason I would have parted with them.

Is the older one soft plastic?  If so, I might be able to help you clear up some storage space.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on November 13, 2012, 12:51:09 PM
That's perfectly ok IMHO to revive old threads.  

Dennis and me were just talking about that. He was able to eliminate the pop up warning message that used to come up when replyig to a thread more than 90 days old. (Just don't ask him how he did it...he isn't sure!) Most around here seem to agree that it is good to add new info to old threads when ever the urge strikes!

Now had I NOT posted here, you wouldn't be losing sleep over where those Gardenia White AE80's are at now!

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_collector on November 13, 2012, 09:21:45 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on November 13, 2012, 12:51:09 PM
That's perfectly ok IMHO to revive old threads.  

Dennis and me were just talking about that. He was able to eliminate the pop up warning message that used to come up when replyig to a thread more than 90 days old. (Just don't ask him how he did it...he isn't sure!) Most around here seem to agree that it is good to add new info to old threads when ever the urge strikes!

Now had I NOT posted here, you wouldn't be losing sleep over where those Gardenia White AE80's are at now!

Terry

I found them.  Now that I look at those pictures again, I can't really see any difference, just that the one on the right needed more cleaning.

- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 13, 2012, 01:35:05 PM

Is the older one soft plastic?  If so, I might be able to help you clear up some storage space.

Larry

The whole hard/soft plastic thing still befuddles me, I never bother to check.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Ok, using this thread as a reference, the older phone is soft plastic using the "sniff" test (the smell is distinct, but not that bad) and the "rap" test.  The newer one is hard plastic.  I can't believe I've had this phone all this time and I never cleaned it up.  That's usually the first thing I do with a phone acquisition, so it's up next for cleaning and retrobrite treatment.

Question - Is this really a line cord, or did somebody modify a long handset cord?  This is the only phone I've seen with a coiled line cord.

- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

We used to have cords like that available for use as line cords for some reason. They even had the correct metal bits on them so I guess the technically were line cords.

Terry

HarrySmith

I have seen a few phones on eBay with coiled line cords. There was a discussion some time back, I don't recall if it was here or on the lists but it was determined if it has the right colors and hardware it is definetly a line cord.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

I just took the plastic parts out of the Oxiclean bath and rinsed them off.  I'm going to let them dry and start the retrobrite process tomorrow.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

From the pictures, it looks like at least some of the discoloration is from tobacco.  I don't yet know a good way to remove that.  Please keep us posted on the progress.  I am in the market for a white soft plastic AE80, in case anyone knows of any available.

Larry