News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Frame Grounding

Started by Babybearjs, March 29, 2017, 03:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Enclosed is a picture of "Frame Grounding" I was establishing a solid ground and thought this might help... has anyone ever done this you their systems?
John

19and41

In my work, all of our fixed equipment is grounded in that manner, though the wire gauge is a bit larger.  It is a good idea.  You must also make sure you use a good grounding source.  With my equipment at home, I use an 8 foot 1/2 inch grounding rod.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

I ran the cable from that point to a 10 line protector, and then to the "Local Ground" terminal on the P/S and from there to the under carriage frame of my manufactured home. now that that's done, I have one thing less to worry about. is there any way to test that lead to see if its working?
John

19and41

It might be wise to look into a grounding rod to achieve a good earth ground.  The tests for such grounds are done with a high current tester called a "megohmeter"  or "megger" that also is connected to an earth ground to insure that there is current transfer to the earth ground.  We have had some installations that had a ground like you describe using the frame and they were the ones that would suffer the most damage from nearby lightning strikes.  They also had buried signal cabling in use with the installation and that would contribute to the damage.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

Lightning...Yes, we have that here too..... as for the service....I'm on a cable service. what is the info on lighting damage to a VOIP line? unlike a regular copper phone line service, I've never hear of lightning damage to a cable line. does it happen?
John

dsk

Grounding may not always protect the equipment, The current will always go the easiest way, e.g. trough a subscriber instead of your switch. It is only a matter of priority. 

dsk

19and41

I've not heard of a coaxial cable line taking lightning damage, but all subscriber drops here are grounded, though.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

I'm glad to here that.... I have my system setup so I have either a wired landline, or cable....choices, choices.....
John