News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is the best telephone design from the rotary dial era?

Started by dsk, November 22, 2009, 04:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

What is the best telephone design from the rotary dial era?

I am just thinking look, not function. And I am thinking from all over the world.

Wall telephones?

Desk telephones?

Other???

I f I should put up a wall telephone in the living room, it would probably be a Western Electric Model 354 which i don't have, the picture is from google: http://robert227.bizland.com/phonemuseum/telephones/No._354.jpg
Nominees of desk telephones:
My wife's choice: 
My choice:
My son's choice:

I don't think we should try to agree about what design who is the best, but some nominations may open our eyes further, and it may be interesting. So: Come on!

dsk

Greg G.

I'm rather partial to the 202s with the E1 handsets, and ones similar.  (This one has a dial in it now, but I don't have a pic).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan

Best wall phone for me (in orchid especially),

best desk set

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

gpo706

Your wife has impeccable taste dsk, thats practically a GPO 332 with more ribbed handset.

My favourite would be a GPO 232, but I could be persuaded otherwise I suppose.

Unfortunately mine's bog-standard black, one day though...

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bellsystemproperty

This PMG phone. I'm not sure of the model number, but I know it is from Australia. This is a bad picture. I don't think the dial it has is original, but it is still a good looking phone.

AET

- Tom

Tonyrotary

Well I tend to like most of them, but do love the 302's, though a 202 with an E1 handset is also great. The 500's are not too shabby either. Wall phones? Well the 354 and the AE50 are tops followed by the 554.

Donna,

Justed moved in to the condo recently and luckily for me, there are two jacks in the living room and one in the bedroom. Guess I won't need you to come over for any rewiring. ;)

mienaichizu

I still prefer the siemens and halske telephone, similar to dsk photo of siemens model 1936 but the best phones I have is the NEC type 4 and the AE jukebox wall phone

McHeath

They are all fun, and I'd not turn any of them down.  I'm partial to 500s, and WE wall phones like the 354 and 554. 

bellsystemproperty

Most rotary phones look good, but if we were talking about function either the 500 or AE80 would win in that regard.

foots

As much as I like the "deco" stuff from Kellogg and Stromberg Carlson, I'm going to have to vote for the Heemaf.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bellsystemproperty

Actually, I agree. The PMG phone I chose has been demoted, the Heemaf is much more interesting looking. (the PMG phone is still awesome  ;D)

Greg G.

Quote from: foots on December 01, 2009, 03:43:24 AM
As much as I like the "deco" stuff from Kellogg and Stromberg Carlson, I'm going to have to vote for the Heemaf.

I think of two things when I look at that phone, Darth Vader and an antique locomotive.

http://tinyurl.com/ak5a32
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

foots

Quote from: Brinybay on December 04, 2009, 03:15:39 AM
Quote from: foots on December 01, 2009, 03:43:24 AM

I think of two things when I look at that phone, Darth Vader and an antique locomotive.

http://tinyurl.com/ak5a32

This usually comes to mind
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"