News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello, New to the Forum, but not new to classic phones

Started by kb3pxr, May 31, 2017, 12:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb3pxr

Hello, thank you for having me on the forum. I'm not new to classic phones (rotary or otherwise) by a long shot and I've been in the phone hobby (among many others) for about 10 years and have been studying up on the history of the Bell System since my senior year in high school (12 years ago).

My first Rotary was my mom's Stromberg Carlson 500. I've since inherited my grandmother's SC-554 and a SC-Mini-Wall which needs a hookswitch replacement and I corrected a 40 year old wiring error on the 554.

Of course now I'm mainly interested in the older and more modern extremes of the hobby such as magneto phones and classic touch-tone phones, but an old fashioned 500 is where I started.

HarrySmith

Hi! Welcome to the forum! You have found the best group of people on the web. We have memebrs with vast amounts of knowledge & experience who are very willing to share it.
I usually give new members a warning about Phoneitis, it is a progressive & incurable disease, but it looks like it's too late for you! You have already contracted the disease. The only cure is more phones!

PS - We love pictures!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: HarrySmith on May 31, 2017, 01:20:27 PM
Hi! Welcome to the forum! You have found the best group of people on the web. We have memebrs with vast amounts of knowledge & experience who are very willing to share it.
I usually give new members a warning about Phoneitis, it is a progressive & incurable disease, but it looks like it's too late for you! You have already contracted the disease. The only cure is more phones!

PS - We love pictures!
Not to mention (he said, actually mentioning it) that posting to forums like this is equally progressive and incurable, a way of seeking solace and the reassurance of those similarly afflicted.  In professional caregiver circles it's known as "enabling".   :'(

oldguy

Welcome to the forum. Incase nobody else tells you, we really like pictures. So you don't need much of an excuse to show off pictures of your phones.
Gary

Welcome to CRPF, Great lot of people here. Yes, they do like their pictures.

kb3pxr

Quote from: oldguy on June 01, 2017, 11:06:40 PM
Welcome to the forum. Incase nobody else tells you, we really like pictures. So you don't need much of an excuse to show off pictures of your phones.

Pictures are easy to do if I remember to take them. Does this forum also like videos?

TelePlay

Quote from: kb3pxr on June 05, 2017, 03:43:33 PM
Pictures are easy to do if I remember to take them. Does this forum also like videos?

Like video but does no allow uploading. You can post a video on YouTube or some other video hosting site and provide a link to that video. That's what others have done in the past.

Never tried it but you may be able to zip the video. If you can, the forum software does allow zipped files to be uploaded.

YouTube link is faster. Downloading a zipped file, opening it (unzipping the folder) and then playing the video is a lot of steps.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on June 05, 2017, 06:05:08 PM
Like video but does no allow uploading. You can post a video on YouTube or some other video hosting site and provide a link to that video. That's what others have done in the past.

Never tried it but you may be able to zip the video. If you can, the forum software does allow zipped files to be uploaded.

YouTube link is faster. Downloading a zipped file, opening it and then playing the video is a lot of steps.
If a video is zipped, people won't be able to watch it directly in a browser.  If it's uploaded to YouTube it will be public, which may or may not be desirable. 

I've uploaded VGA resolution videos to Google Drive and sent people links.  They were able to stream them directly from the link to iPads and PCs.  HD resolution seemed to exceed the BW available for real time streaming. I don't know where the limitation was however they were able to download them and watch them from local storage.

Dan/Panther

Welcome to the forum, I have never found a better group of people to hang with.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson