News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

June 23 Tour at Telephone Museum of PEI - Videos!

Started by DavePEI, July 07, 2017, 11:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

NikeTelephone

WOW, That was Great, Enjoyed it soo much! Soo many Phones! :) Great Collection Dave!!
Phones, Who Knew! :)

GTE Rick

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

Excellent, Looking forward to seeing it and meeting you in person. I have your new supply of goodies ready to go for when we leave here on Monday.

DavePEI

Quote from: NikeTelephone on July 08, 2017, 01:07:00 AM
WOW, That was Great, Enjoyed it soo much! Soo many Phones! :) Great Collection Dave!!
It was fun to do, and is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Now, it was totally unscripted, and I made a few errors in the descriptions, as I had little time to formulate the answers to the questions asked. One thing I could have answered better, was the question about why I have so many newer phones on display than similar museums on the USA. They tend to display at the latest up to the manufacture of 500 sets.

Now, in the US, the divestiture of the Bell System was decreed in 1974, following by the 1982 consent decree breaking up the Bell System in the US, forcing them to sell off their operating companies, Bell Labs, and shut down Western Electric.

This left Bell Canada, Bell Northern Research and Northern Electric without its parent companies in the US. They were left with a choice of either shutting down, or delving heavily into their own R&D, and production of truly 100% Canadian designed telephones, switching systems, and related projects. This they did with great success, which resulted in many more years of truly Canadian production of telephones. This continues right until the end of Nortel caused by some bad management decisions in latter years.Their DMS line of switching systems were some of the top sold systems in the latter part of the century world-wide.

This resulted in many later generations of phones produced by Northern Electric, Northern Telecom, and by Nortel. They were sold truly around the world, and with great success in the US as well. Therefore, these later phones deserve their place in a Canadian Museum.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

david@london

....enjoyed watching that virtual guided tour of the museum, dave.

the strowger device for signalling employees with numbered gong rings is v interesting.

that gong sound is reminiscent of an old Bally pinball machine i used to have .....

i think it reminded Dean, the cameraman, of one too.

an amazing collection.......thanks for posting.