News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NET&T Pay Station Sign and Switching Station

Started by rfkimba, October 07, 2017, 02:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfkimba

During my sign prospecting  early this summer I  purchased this near mint NET&T pay station sign 2 1/4 x 30 from Woodward's Antiques of Marlborough NH. The owner indicated it hung above a telephone booth between 1910 to 1920  inside the  NET&T switching station on 162 Main St. He used to use the phone booth as a child and managed to acquire both the sign and booth when the building was converted to a different use decades ago.

I contacted The Marlborough Historical Society in search of photos of the original phone booth and they were kind enough to supply  the  attached three photos of the switchboard from the 1930's and the  house with the  soldier in 1942. Alas no photos  record of this sign above the old phone booth inside but I tried. The three photos are in the fourth attachment in pdf format.
The sign's only defects are a porcelain chip at the lower right and lower left  mounting hole. It has heavy porcelain ledging and  the original shine as well as the original paper instructions attached on the reverse! One of the  photos shows how the former owner shipped it screwed into a piece of plywood.
Any Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Bob Farber

Doug Rose

Bob....what an amazing sign! I have never seen one in such fine condition. For a Boy from Boston, NET is what I am always searching for. NICE FIND....Doug

I was lucky enough to find one years ago, but nothing like yours. They are a tough find!
Kidphone

Fabius

Great find! I like that it has the Ingram sticker still on the back.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409