News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Pay Phone in Phone Booth - A lot of help needed

Started by darticus, October 10, 2017, 05:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Back to the missing ringer, an AE 33 ringer will work but by the outline on the metal mounting plate I would say this one had the older larger rectangular shaped Bakelite AE 32 ringer.

Terry

Haf

Terry,
I was thinking same when watching the 18 type shelf again. Maybe even no AR ringer at all but a WE one (as the booth itself seems to be WE type original). A Western Electric ringer is more easy to come by and should work too.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

HarrySmith

I was thinking the same thing, appears to be a WE booth that someone stuck an AE phone in at some point. The easy to find WE ringer box should work fine with your phone anyway.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

darticus

Thanks all for your info.
I don't know much about these ringers but I would like to buy one. Are there screws in my phone this ringer would hook to? How many wires hook up? Will all ringers work? I'm so dum on this you really have to tell me what to buy and how to hook up. Never did this before. Thanks Ron I will check out the materials you sent and see if I can find something in them. Thanks Ron

darticus

The ringer section seems to be 5 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches according to the clean area on the plate. The booth has a hole on the side for the bell system light, that I don't have, which might help to identify the booth and original phone. I guess I would need a ringer to work with the phone but also fit the plate or modify the plate. By plate I mean that fold down thing for the ringer. Ron

AE_Collector

Yes you (and Harry) are 100% correct. That is the exact same mounting plate.

Terry

Quote from: Haf on October 12, 2017, 11:41:08 AM
Terry,
I was thinking same when watching the 18 type shelf again. Maybe even no AR ringer at all but a WE one (as the booth itself seems to be WE type original). A Western Electric ringer is more easy to come by and should work too.

Haf

darticus

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 12, 2017, 08:56:15 PM
Yes you (and Harry) are 100% correct. That is the exact same mounting plate.

Terry

What does this mean? Di someone determine which ringer I should get? Will it fit the plate? Thanks Ron

AE_Collector

Quote from: darticus on October 13, 2017, 06:33:02 AM
What does this mean? Di someone determine which ringer I should get? Will it fit the plate? Thanks Ron

Correct me if I am wrong...they show using a Western Electric subscriber set (network and ringer) because WECo phones didn't have a network inside where as AE phones do. So you can use one of the listed subscriber sets just for its ringer if you are sticking with the AE payphone.

Terry

darticus

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 17, 2017, 11:04:46 PM
Correct me if I am wrong...they show using a Western Electric subscriber set (network and ringer) because WECo phones didn't have a network inside where as AE phones do. So you can use one of the listed subscriber sets just for its ringer if you are sticking with the AE payphone.

Terry
Thanks, I bought a ringer off ebay that I hope will work ok. Thanks Ron

poplar1

The "531A subscriber set" pictured contains only a ringer and capacitor. It was used with WE 180 and 190 series pay phones, because those models do have a 101-type induction coil and 195C talk capacitor inside the telephone.

I wonder whether an AE 33 would line up with the predrilled holes.

The problem with mounting a ringer inside the phone is that it will probably have to be installed in the space where the missing coin relay goes.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

darticus

Thanks all
I hope the ringer I bought will work fine. Ron

AE_Collector

Post the eBay pictures and we may be able to give you some thoughts.

Terry

darticus

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 19, 2017, 09:22:31 PM
Post the eBay pictures and we may be able to give you some thoughts.

Terry
I have to wait until it gets here but I will post pics. Thanks Ron