News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Todays Question: which is easier?

Started by Babybearjs, November 14, 2017, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

OK all you telephone techs! here's todays question: Which is easier when assigning or changing assigned phone lines at individual locations... 1: to change the wiring at the 66 block  or  2: change the wiring on the individual Phone set?  I have a guestroom and it is assigned the second phone line. so.... the layout is L1, L2, L3, L4, L5.... but in this room alone... the layout is L2, L1, L3, L4, L5. so... is it quicker to change the wiring in the phone, or at the 66 Block? what would you do???
John

AE_Collector

The quick and dirty way in I&R was to swap the green & red with the black & yellow location in the jack but personally I hated changing the wiring/jacks to a non standard configuration.

If a customer wanted the kids line or fax line at a specific location and there were at least 4 conductors feeding the jack I would point out that they could have both lines there and plug in what we called a "two line splitter" (one of those plug in 2 jacks in one things that was rewired to put pair 1 in one jack and pair 2 in the other) and they could plug into whichever line they wanted and they could use both lines if needed. Also, if they later discontinued the second line the first line would still be there which it wouldn't if the jack had been converted to line 2.

Barring a solution like this as long as the run is home run, I would change the lines at the cross connect block.

Terry

tipnring

Change it at the r 66 block. Quicker and you don't have to mess around with those small wires in the jack as well as bending down to do it (I must be getting old ha ha). Dennis

RB

Agreed, workin at eye level is always easier. ;)
and you can look at the block, and see there is a difference there.
it is tough to look at each individual jack lookin for something different.

Babybearjs

OK, now would anyone ever change the wiring INSIDE the telephone?
John

AE_Collector

For whatever reason, I don't find that to be quite as *wrong* as flipping wires at the jack unless you aren't talking about just a two line phone. I wouldn't want to see that in a proper key set.

Terry

Babybearjs

yes, I Agree.....BUT.... I am working on a key set, a 444 and 544 sets to be exact....  I want just that extension to be reversed.... so, would you change the wiring in the phone, or at the 66 block?
John

AE_Collector

At the 66 block for certain. That is the purpose of having each telephone cable terminated on its own 66 block....makes it easy to configure each phone just how you want it to be.

Terry

RB

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 16, 2017, 12:50:35 AM
At the 66 block for certain. That is the purpose of having each telephone cable terminated on its own 66 block....makes it easy to configure each phone just how you want it to be.

Terry

best advice yet...