News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Took a shot on this WE 202...

Started by Partyline4, January 24, 2018, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

The listing was posted back earlier in January, but got relisted again, and the description was changed saying the phone is reproduction. I've never seen a reproduced E1, especially with brass trim...If you look closely in the photos, the body is made of "brass" too....

Seller had no real info about the phone, but I took a chance hoping it's the real deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253386818736

What do you think?

$80 shipped....

WEBellSystemChristian

Unfortunately, it does look like a reproduction... :(

I believe it was Phoneco that built reproduction B1s with brass housings and ABS E1s. Original B1s were made of Aluminum and had Bakelite handsets. This E1 is also notched for an RJ11 modular cloth-covered handset cord, which is what it looks like it still has.

Sorry about that! You could always add a WE dial, just to make it look a bit more authentic.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

That is not the real thing but a reproduction sold by Phoneco or one of those companies.  They parts are probably mostly imported from Asia, and the dial is an AE dial which would have been used in an AE80E or similar.  Those dials are plentiful and cheap, so they were typically used on repro phones.

Larry

AE_Collector

Well, a dial from an AE40 or 50...better than an 80E Dial.

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 24, 2018, 12:01:00 PM
Well, a dial from an AE40 or 50...better than an 80E Dial.

Terry

Probably an 80 or 80E. Note the outside finger stop, attached with Phillips screw. Don't get the fake number plate (sticker) wet!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

The listing description does state: "Retro- is a reproduction phone.  Probably made in the 1990 not sure of the date."

Dan/Panther

I'm a little confused, is the E1 designation a W.E. handset, or AE ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 24, 2018, 12:14:38 PM
The listing description does state: "Retro- is a reproduction phone.  Probably made in the 1990 not sure of the date."

Or 2017:
http://phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=main&category=Art&topic=01029

poplar1

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 24, 2018, 12:30:14 PM
D/P

Western Electric handle "E1"
E1B handset with 395B "bullet" transmitter
E1E handset with 625A transmitter (F1 unit)

Partyline4

It happens that way sometimes. I was frantically checking the forum for a picture of the brass trim, and NOTHING was coming up. SO I bought it, and then a few hours later finally found the forum " how to spot a fake 102 " and a few words I can't repeat came tumbling out.

I might be able to put it back on with better pictures and get my money back?

I think if it works, maybe put a WE dial in it....Should be able to sell it to someone looking for an "authentic reproduction"

::) ::) ::) ::)

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 24, 2018, 12:30:14 PM
D/P
Dan....its made to look like an E1, it is modular and plastic....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, look on the bright side. You can always make this one look authentic and use it for daily use. Even though it's reproduction, it's still built well--simply swap out the dial for a later WE one.

Dan, I believe you did this to a repro candlestick once...

www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=259
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Once you get it, look at the parts. It might be worth it, might get close to getting your money back, to part it out if some parts are authentic and worth money. I do not like to part out phones if original but a busted up phone or a phone like this would not fall under that dislike.

Just a thought, if you don't want to use it, or try to resell it.

Doug Rose

I still have mine. The base and plunger are brass. I stripped off the paint. I display it with a North dial and a Stanley & Patterson Bakelite Handset that resembles an E1. All is not lost. Mine make a fine display piece. Everytime I try to take it away, something makes me keep it.

The handset is a modular Black plastic and it was tossed long ago...Doug
Kidphone