News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed in Deciding to Pursue or Not... Large lot of telephones and parts

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 26, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for that, Tubaman. That explains why it seemed to be a problem in that assembly.

Nick

RB

That may be a thrust washer???
there to force the diaphragm against its base???

Nick in Manitou

RB,
I had assumed that it was there to hold the diaphragm without dampening its movement too much, but what I think I will do is (eventually) test the receiver both with and without the washer and see which way it works better. The cap is cracked and if the receiver functions well without the washer, I will leave it out.

=======================

Responding to my own post (Reply #109, above) I saw a photo this morning on eBay that contains what looks like the same item I was trying to identify. It is in a photo of what they are describing as a, "Danish Skeleton Telephone Phone c1900 Kjobenhavns Aktieselskab". (That is a cool looking phone! - It looks as though that phone is described elsewhere on the 'net as an Eiffel Tower phone.)

Anyway, I found another photo of this type of telephone also with the line cord connected to a circular container painted and looking exactly like the one I have. Might the initials E.C. on the underside might stand for Ericsson - something?

So, with photos from two separate listings of these old Ericsson phones, I think we can safely assume that we know what it is used for. Is it likely that this design was used from around 1900 until the '50s?

Nick

HarrySmith

I beleive that "circular container" is where the connections to the line are made. IIRC they were used for a long time. Maybe one of our european members can give a specific date range on that part.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Nick in Manitou

Spent some time with a few of the wooden phone components...please let me know if you have any observations to pass on about these items - it is all new to me!

=======
315H, (first 3 pics) seems pretty complete, a couple drops of oil and the magneto rings the bells

=======
N300C, (second 3 pics) this Northern box has a push button on the side and the schematic is stamped with the date of Oct 5, 1914, seems complete

Nick in Manitou

This next box (first 3 pics) is labeled, "Special Type 300H". (I thought it was stamped 800H, but upon close examination it does look as though it is probably a 3 and not an 8.) The ringer is stamped, "2B". Is also has a stamp impressed onto the right side of the exterior that says, "Patented See Dates Inside".

==========
Next up was a box labeled as a C315E (with a square around the 'C')(second 3 pics).  Somebody really didn't want folks to use the schematic that was attached to the inside of the door!

Nick in Manitou

I made good use of D/P's wiring diagram for ringers on 302s the last couple days and was able to get a couple 5302s back up on their feet and ringing.  One of the 5302s I came across has an aluminum base plate. I searched around and see that they have been discussed a bit on the forum, but I didn't find a definitive statement as to why they were made with the aluminum base plate...?

Also, this unit is not coming "off hook". I got the ringer working with the diagram I found on the forum (I have lost it again!) but only just now as I go to post this, I see that D/P also posted a diagram of how to wire the dial to function on a two wire system...so putting that diagram to work to see if that solves my problem with this phone is my next task.

===========

I believe this next phone is what some folks lovingly call the Soviet Princess Phone.  A Crouse-Hinds hazardous environment (explosion proof) phone. It is labeled as an ETDA-20 but more properly might be an ETWA-20 as it is configured as a wall phone. It may be considered explosion proof, but I don't think it is drop-proof...it seems to have been dropped and the result is a crack in the case above the dial and a chunk that has been partly repaired on the back flange of the case. It weighs a lot!

Nick in Manitou

Would like some input on this, as I have a ways to go before I understand the electrical magic of a telephone.

One of the boxes in the lot came with a WE 1002 attached to it with 2 'D' cell batteries wired into the system. Would the intent of this set up be to use it connected to the modern phone system? There is a two conductor line cord exiting the box...would it/should it work?

ALSO!!  A couple of the ringer boxes I received have the bells cut as they are on this box. Why? It certainly does not look like a factory modification. It looks as though it was done with a hack saw while not paying attention!

Nick

poplar1

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 13, 2018, 01:21:36 AM
Would like some input on this, as I have a ways to go before I understand the electrical magic of a telephone.

One of the boxes in the lot came with a WE 1002 attached to it with 2 'D' cell batteries wired into the system. Would the intent of this set up be to use it connected to the modern phone system? There is a two conductor line cord exiting the box...would it/should it work?

ALSO!!  A couple of the ringer boxes I received have the bells cut as they are on this box. Why? It certainly does not look like a factory modification. It looks as though it was done with a hack saw while not paying attention!

Nick

Batteries were usually mounted separately (except in the large wall phones) but this is a clever adaptation. This is for "local battery" (L.B.) use with any other L. B. telephones.

The hacksaw was used to create distinctive sound so that you could tell which line was ringing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Nick in Manitou

So, the modifier of this phone might have set up a local "network" of local battery phones so that they could talk to each other? I guess that would be a great way to demonstrate one's collection of LB phones and to see what the fidelity of these old instruments was like.  Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Nick

(Too bad about the bells...)

Sargeguy

Most of those 315 boxes are not worth much on their own unfortunately and are worth the sum of their parts.  For magnetos the more bronze parts=more $$$.  Most of the magnetos are worth about $20, the red magneto is is worth approximately $65.  It was also used in 301As and is often damaged.  It is always a good idea to remove the magneto crank and store it inside a phone or box if the box is not secured to a wall.  Hitting the crank handle can bend the magneto shaft and mke it difficult to turn, making the mag useless.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for that input, Greg. It seems a pity that things that are that cool and that old are not more highly valued.

Any idea as to why the square around the 'C' on that 315E box?  Also, any idea what might have been special about the "Special Type 300H"?

Is there a listing somewhere of what subscriber sets were manufactured to support which phones? I tried searching the TCI site and did not have any luck, but I may be searching incorrectly.

Thanks,
Nick

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

Slots were cut into gongs to modify the ringing sound.. You would recognize which line was ringing.That handset would have been a proper use in ir's day