News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A long awaited project coming to completion

Started by Key2871, May 15, 2018, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

That's a sharp looking workbench. As I mentioned earlier, I need to get one built. Right now I have a Costco portable table covered with stuff (may get it cleaned off tonight, and a old kitchen table (with a broken leaf) with a piece of scrap plywood I picked up at Home Depot to protect the table top (probably will sell...).  I was thinking about hanging my white wall phones this weekend, so it's again time to look for scrap plywood and paint...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

Thanks Jim, hey put your thoughts on paper, line up your supplies and go for it. This has been the most fun I have had in a long time, other than fixing and testing for charity stuff.
I was getting so depressed because I don't have the room in this house. I went from a three br full basement, to a single wide. I'd love to have a garage that would be real nice.
But you know what they say, you have lemons, you make lemonade! I think I'm doing just that.
KEN

Key2871

Well spent several hours on this again today, and more progress i was testing some sets coming up for sale so I wanted to get more key stuff out of the way.
My AMP bridge breaks out to seven stations, I had forgotten that. This is something I got on eBay years ago, I custom wired it to have seven out put jacks, and two in, the first is KSU control, the very last is for intercom system connection.
Made a custom cable from the KSU to the bridge, the other is for the key set top left. I also put on RIngs for cable management on the right. I'm still debating whether I put a 25 pair out to the house, or another type.
I re,ran the station wire from the KSU to the BK tester, I at first had it run surface stapled with T18's. But quickly changed my mind to route it through by the tester. For a neater look. Now I'm down to wiring the RT unit for intercom.
But I need to rest a sore back again.
KEN

HarrySmith

It just gets better & better. Very nice setup!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Thanks Harry, and today when I needed to get my notebook on telephone schematics, I am thinking now about a basket on the side to keep that handy. But it was when I was doing the AMP end on my KSU cable, I needed to see wiring for an ITT 565 cable.
Also my overhead light is not enough to illuminate the desk area good enough for detail work. So now I'm going to keep my eye out for a task light, or just hang one from the top of the board. But I'm getting there, one day at a time.
But today working on key phones, it just worked out so good to have this setup like it is, what a god send.
Next week I pick up more phones for charity, and I look forward to having more to do.
KEN

HarrySmith

Of course, do one thing and 2 more pop up! Good lighting is definetly key and a place to keep paperwok handy should be simple.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea that's for sure. My eyes ain't getin no younger lol.
And when I'm using my AMP tool, it's getting harder to find the right spot for the wire, to say nothing of the color code.
But I'm getting very close now, and oh so happy with the results!
KEN

HarrySmith

Speaking of old eyes, I just bought from eBay a pair of LED's that clip on my eyeglass frames. They swivel to aim. very cool, only 2 dollars & change.

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

OK, saw those. Not really impressed, so I'm going a different route with lighting. I have a 24" work light I used when I worked on pinball machine's. Gave a lot of light, just collecting dust now. So I'm going to do something to set that up an see how that goes.
KEN

Key2871

Not stunning progress today on my project. I painted more, around the back, the sides got a second coat. I found a light to better illuminate the work area, it's not great but for now it's better than nothing. I did remove the wire for the KSU from the front and re routed it to the back, (see middle picture previous post, ivory wire) used the T Jack on the panel phone, I feel dumb that I didn't think of that in the first place. Oh well sometimes I just get gung ho to finish something.
Someone gave me about twenty five feet of light duty black poly water line. I'm going to snake 25 pair through that to protect the sheathing of the wire and run it to the house, then use the black 2871 in the livingroom by my desk for intercom, and may run the phone to the KSU via that cable.
Tomorrow more painting, and the RT intercom gets put in, and wired up. If I have the chance I'll pull out my spool of cable and cut some for the house, and I'll be done!
I'll post pictures of the finished board tomorrow, hopefully I'll have it done at that point, except the cable run, but that's not important to picture.
KEN

Key2871

Well it's done, everything is wired, except the cable to the house which is quick connect, but everything else is done.
Final two pictures tell the story.
The cat5 is power, and the second is station bell wiring. And tip/ring for lines 2-3. The valcom mount has the m block with pins wired to a 25 pair cable behind.
The cables are denoted with a band of Red tape around the power cable, the other is blank.
It all works as it should, and that light is not the final work light.
I'm still thinking of a better solution with more light.
KEN

RotarDad

Love it!!   What a great design - I really like the clean look with all the panel-mounts.   Perfect for a small space where you have to maximize your utility.
Paul

Key2871

Thank you!
It's been fun, kind of placing and re placing things on this. Figuring the best place for things.
This is the first time I have done this type of test setup.
Well I say test, but it serves a duel purpose, first is testing, but also I get to expand my 1A2 a bit more, so now I have intercom between the shed, and the house.
I had a standard desk, at one point before I moved here 8 years ago, and stuff to the side like the BK tester.
It ended up actually too big, as stuff began to pile up and get lost.
Here obviously had limited space in which to work. But I really like it, I've done several phones already, cordless and corded. And it's really worked out well, if I need to pull out a manual, it gets kind-of tight. But the smaller area begs to be cleaned up after your done, so you have space for the next project phone. So BIG isn't always best, some times its nicer to have a smaller place to play.
KEN

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

Wow!

That looks sharp! 

Once I get back from Lancaster, (and class is over for the spring term), I need to spend some time putting together my workspace in the basement. Since I'm playing with payphones, I need to get my KS-21250 working (have to "build" a 90 volt battery, plus get the other circuits working, and integrate that into the test stand.

I also "inherited" a 19" Audio/Video rack from work when we moved offices. It also needs to be built out with VoIP circuits, Panasonic KX-TA 624, network, punch downs, etc., most of which I "acquired" from the unused wiring closet before we moved out...  It's amazing what you can pull together from leftover parts when an office loses down and what you pick up from other collectors and along the way...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!