"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello and thanks for the add

Started by JPinPA, May 27, 2018, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPinPA

Hello from Stewartstown, PA!

First and foremost, let me introduce myself. I'm in IT support for a major healthcare provider. While I know my way around modern technology, my experience with analog phones is minimal but dates back to the late 60's and 70's when we would add pirate phones to our home lines (without ringers connected) to avoid detection (did we really?) by ma bell.

Recently I've gotten the urge to stick one more iron in the fire and rewire my 653(?) wall phone.

We've used it from time to time over the years, but the wiring has deteriorated to the point that we get occasional shorts that kill our service until I disconnect the phone.

My questions are many, and I would expect better located under another topic on this forum. So, for now I'll just post pictures and see where this initial thread leads.

-Jay
- Jay

Key2871

Hi Jay! Welcome to the obsession!! Need answers? Your at the right place. Good to have you here.
Ken
KEN

oldguy

Welcome Jay. I'm not an expert on those phones but someone on here is.
Gary

Welcome to CRPF Jay.

JPinPA

Thank you everyone.

Which topic would questions regarding this wall phone best be posted? I see candlestick, and while these are somewhat cousins under the skin, would another umbrella topic be better suited?
- Jay

RB

Not sure about location.
That phone shud be fairly easy to rewire.
won't be orig, but well??
I did my wood box phone, and it works great!
without the rewire, you will ALWAYS be having problems.
grab a couple wire spools from a supply store, and go for it.
one wire at a time... ;)

Doug Rose

You have the Red on L1 and the Green on L2, which is correct. What happens when plug the modular cord in?

What is the newer wiring on the side, is is connected anywhere?

Try calling it when you have it plugged in from your cell, if it does not ring Bridge the the red wire to ground.  Or the green to ground.

It could be your receiver is dead. Bring the red and green wire to the receiver termination to see if the receiver works. Does the receiver have a disc over it on the inside that slides off? Or do you see the two poles?

See what happens and let us know.

Welcome to the Forum..Doug
Kidphone

JPinPA

Quote from: RB on May 29, 2018, 12:59:08 PM
Not sure about location.
That phone shud be fairly easy to rewire.
won't be orig, but well??
I did my wood box phone, and it works great!
without the rewire, you will ALWAYS be having problems.
grab a couple wire spools from a supply store, and go for it.
one wire at a time... ;)

What gauge wire did you use? Same as original?
- Jay

JPinPA

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 29, 2018, 01:34:16 PM
You have the Red on L1 and the Green on L2, which is correct. What happens when plug the modular cord in?

What is the newer wiring on the side, is is connected anywhere?

Try calling it when you have it plugged in from your cell, if it does not ring Bridge the the red wire to ground.  Or the green to ground.

It could be your receiver is dead. Bring the red and green wire to the receiver termination to see if the receiver works. Does the receiver have a disc over it on the inside that slides off? Or do you see the two poles?

See what happens and let us know.

Welcome to the Forum..Doug

When plugged in, the phone works fine as long as any of the bare wires don't make contact with the box or other wires. It rings (loudly - I might stuff something in the gongs to muffle them a bit), it answers, I can hear and be heard.

The newer wire you see is the house wiring just pulled out of the wall so I could punch down the RJ11 jack for quick and easy connection/disconnection when I put the phone up a few (well, many now) years ago.  There had been a modern wall phone plate there that I removed to accommodate this phone.

Thanks!
- Jay

Doug Rose

It looks like the white wire on the top the connects to L2 could be the culprit as a lot of insulation is off of it. That will cause a short to the metal base..Doug
Kidphone

JPinPA

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 29, 2018, 02:47:08 PM
It looks like the white wire on the top the connects to L2 could be the culprit as a lot of insulation is off of it. That will cause a short to the metal base..Doug

Thanks Doug. Yes, I was going to edit my reply but got sidetracked. It looks like it comes from the condenser (capacitor?). I've read where these have been replaced with modern capacitors, but of the many WE used, I don't know exactly what I have.

I'm very new to actually digging into these things and don't know if I have a "Frankenphone" or not.

Any idea as to what gauge wire these used?
- Jay

RB

The wire I used, was much the same size as orig.
Sorry, don't know the size. small 24 , 26 gauge? just bought a couple colors, and went for it.
The caps were mostly .5, 1, or 2uf depending on purpose.
the voltage should be around 200v.
non polarized, film type.
Almost any type will work, and they are much smaller than orig.