News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for WE 327A intercom information

Started by Witty, January 27, 2023, 12:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I've been searching for information and possibly any pictures of the Western Electric Type 327A wood intercom. I can't tell if mine is complete or not and have nothing to compare it to. If someone has one and could provide internal pictures that would be great. I also haven't been able to find a WE bulletin or catalog to check.
Thanks for any information!

Ken
Ken

poplar1

Here is a catalog picture from TCI Library:

1) Go to telephonecollectors info.
2} From the home page, click on "Search" and scroll down to "Google Search"
2) Search for "327A Interphone" or "327A"
3) Click on   " WE Inter-phones and Accessories 1915 "

Temporary link:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/document-repository/catalogs-manuals/bell-system-we/13089-we-interphones-and-accessories-1915/file

Note: For all Western Electric telephones  from this era, the catalogs will show a 1xxx model rather than the 2- or 3-digit number stamped on the phone. For example, "317" on a single box magneto wall set will be "1317" in the catalog. "1317" means a 317 that is compete with transmitter, receiver, and receiver cord.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

Quote from: Witty on January 27, 2023, 12:42:33 AM...I can't tell if mine is complete or not and have nothing to compare it to...

Would you add internal and external photos of your phone Ken, we'd like to see it for comparison too.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Witty

David,
Thanks for that information. I have seen that page and that model. That's the 327AA model. Mine is the 327A model. It is a little different unit with the push button on the right side, and smaller ringer coils inside. Components inside are different also but I can't tell if it's all there or not without actual documentation or another unit to compare it to. I'll get some pics for you as soon as I get back to my shop this morning.

Edit: It also has a 273W transmitter, which I can't find information about either.
Ken

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on January 27, 2023, 01:21:30 AMHere is a catalog picture from TCI Library:

1) Go to telephonecollectors info.
2} From the home page, click on "Search" and scroll down to "Google Search"
2) Search for "327A Interphone" or "327A"
3) Click on  " WE Inter-phones and Accessories 1915 "

Temporary link:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/document-repository/catalogs-manuals/bell-system-we/13089-we-interphones-and-accessories-1915/file

-or-

Search Link: https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=WE+Interphones+1915
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Here is a  "Special" 327A in the Freeland Auction:

poplar1

Witty

David,
Thanks!
Those pictures help a lot. Mine isn't the Special, it's just the plain 327 A. It has the same 273W transmitter attached with the same 3 clips. My hook switch is much different, and mine looks like it has an early WE resistor connected inside. My push button is on the side vs bottom. The label inside mine has worn away, you can see where it was, and the outside WE decal was on the right side on mine. I can replace that.
My receiver looks original but is labeled Hawthorn, with a Z by the pin connectors. The cap is stuck so I need to get that loose some how.
I brought this out to clean and restore but wanted to make sure it's all there. Compared to your pics I think it probably is.

I've attached some pics below.
Thanks again!

Ken

Witty

Ken

Witty

Last pics.
I'll post pics when it's finished.

Ken