"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E-1 Handset Bullet Transmitter Tool

Started by Desert Phone Guy, July 22, 2018, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

I like Jeff's tools (ktownphoneco) but for the record, here are the original tools used back in the day, and used before the handset pieces became "stuck" together from age and dirt accumulation.

Taken from Page 292 of the WE No. 9 Catalog from 1935 in the TCI web library.

kleenax

Quote from: Pourme on July 23, 2018, 08:07:39 AM
~

E1 handsets are the only ones that have given me fits trying to remove. I have done the hair dryer/strap wrench method multiple times to no avail. I have seen handsets broken in two by collectors exerting maximum effort on them, I didn't want to wind up there. One of the issues involved that isn't present with G series handsets is the aluminum threads that over the years get                      "tarnish" for lack of a better term, and causes issues. I have thought about trying that WD40 thing, but haven't tried it. Maybe combine the WD40 thing with the hot water/strap wrench method?

I have always simply heated them up (to expand the metal) and break them loose from there with either the special strap wrench that I used to sell, and/or the original E1 tools. If they STILL don't come apart, I just break em and replace them after cleaning the aluminum parts.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Sargeguy

I just listed a set of these on eBay, directly from the Verizon/Pioneers Auction.  I loosened/adjusted all my E-1s, so I'll pass them on:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392096328536?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409