News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Design Line - Celebrity - Variations

Started by SunriseEarth, September 04, 2018, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

There seems A LOT of the standard WE Design Line Celebrity phones out there.   Just about anywhere you look for vintage phones, you're bound to see the ubiquitous ivory Celebrity with gold trim, often at an inflated price.   I had one myself, but I lent it to a former friend's theater production and never got it back. 

Anyway, I did come across a variation on eBay.   This one was ivory with the chrome trim, as confirmed by the stamp at the bottom 940C40 050.   I decided to make a $15 offer, which was accepted.   I should be getting it later today.  The pics are from the seller.

I haven't seen many in ivory with the chrome trim.   I don't know if it looks as good as ivory with gold (which is probably why you see so many of those ones), but it's an interesting variation.   At some point, I'd also like to find a blue one with gold trim, since you don't see those very much, either. 
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

SunriseEarth

I also have another less frequently seen Celebrity phone, the black one with gold trim.  IMHO, it might be the best looking of their options.
Tony Stokes

Jim Stettler

Cool find.
Ivory and light blue were both available with silver or gold trim. There were also 2 different  housings. 3 feet and 4 feet

I have seen both housing variations, but never the trim "swap" .
Later on they also had a black celebrity which you have.

Here is a link to Paul F.'s Page
http://www.paul-f.com/weDesignLine.html
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

SunriseEarth

I saw one picture of a blue and gold one.  It looks like it was an eBay BIN purchase for $60 a couple months ago.   
Tony Stokes

Key2871

I have seen both ivory, and blue, with both types of trim.
But have never seen one in black, that I think is more desirable, because you don't see many around.
How cool, nice.
KEN

SunriseEarth

Ugh.   I finally found a blue and gold one on eBay, but the housing arrived shattered.    :'(

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=717.msg224865#msg224865
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

Looks like I never followed up.  I did find another blue/gold Celebrity.  It arrived cracked, but I was able to glue it together.   So I now have all of the color variations.   I'm not sure if Touch Tone was an option for the blue/gold or ivory/chrome combo, but I suppose I could get a TT ivory/gold and a rotary blue/chrome to round out my collection. IIRC, the black/gold was only issued as TT. 
Tony Stokes

Key2871

Yes, but I found them to be harder to find for some reason..
But I had one, after looking for a while.
KEN

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Whitcrane76

Here's some information from an early catalog. It doesn't have all of the color options.

Stormcrash

Holy crap those talking points  :o

There is a design line promo video on youtube from AT&T that hit some of those same points for the celebrity

GTE Rick

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on August 10, 2019, 11:59:39 AM
Here's some information from an early catalog. It doesn't have all of the color options.

Is a scan of this catalogue available???
Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.