News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking For a Small Electric Buffer/Polisher

Started by gands-antiques, November 07, 2018, 10:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

In addition to phones, I also restore antique brass blade fans and Singer Featherweight sewing machines.

I'm looking for an electric buffer/polisher with an approximate 3" diameter buffer head and an overall tool height of 3 1/2" (including buffer pad) that will fit under the column on a Featherweight sewing machine.

(Featherweight sewing machine pictured) I have heard random orbital polisher/buffers were the best.

Please let me know if anyone knows where I can get a small compact buffer/polisher like I have described.

Thanks a lot,
Gary

FABphones

On eBay I've seen polishing attachments for drills which are that size. I've just bought 3" polishing wheels for my small bench polisher, which is how I happened to see them.

A drill may be a bit heavy to work with, but you might find similar size polishing pads with a shank to fit an electric screwdriver type of handheld (or even a Dremel might do. Good for getting into nooks and crannies).

A variable speed device (or adaptor) would be a good idea too.

Added photos below to give you an idea, didn't add links to sellers as they seem to be widely available.  :)

Let us know how you get on.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Don't expect much power from such a small unit like what you're talking about.
I used to polish metal as part of my job. I wanted a set up for home in my shop, got a small motor and Mandrell thought it would be nice. Not nearly enough power for polishing plastics or small metal pieces. It kept stalling out. So it was a lessen learned, I needed to get a larger motor.
So I got a used 1735 rpm motor, wasn't huge but it wasn't small either. Worked perfectly, using 5" wheel and smaller also some cone buffs for small areas.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on November 08, 2018, 08:38:44 AM
Don't expect much power from such a small unit like what you're talking about....

My small bench polisher? I agree. I did my research on that one after I had bought it (that type of polisher of no use to the o.p. though). I bought it a while back on the spur of the moment, cheap as chips so not a problem if it doesn't last long. When it decides to throw a huly I will sneak into the garage and pinch the larger one.   ;)

Thanks for the tip, always good to know.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

I've been using one like this for a few years now. I like the big, metal chuck which is easy to hold on to when working with it. There are several types on eBay, some state for grinding and some for jewelry polishing. They all have the motor, speed control, flexible shaft and a chuck.

What I didn't like was the small chuck capacity, only 1/8" or 3/16" max diameter. Works great for the stones they provide but I had to make my own buffing heads for polishing phones.

I had one of those small bench grinders with a flexible shaft but it stalled out very easily. I never had a stalling problem with this tool.

The heads I made started with one of those foam practice golf balls, drilling a hole through its center using a long 1/8" machine screw with a washer on each end to keep the head and nut from pulling through. I then covered the foam ball with several layers of soft, cotton cloth to provide a protection layer. Then one more layer of soft cotton cloth, the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and I ended up with a 302 pot metal housing that looked like chrome.

I don't think you will find a 3-5" buffing wheel that will take a 1/8" machine screw shaft but a mandrel could be used to get the wheel onto this chuck. However, this chuck is superior to the very small chuck on Dremel tools.

The variable speed works nice. I even put a layer of 0000 steel wool on the foam ball and after wetting it with Brasso, used that to get pot metal down to a nice surface prior to sanding, prior to polishing (when using liquids like Brasso on steel wool, slower speeds are used to keep from taking a Brasso shower - been there, done that). Several hundred RPM with Brasso on steel wool makes quick work or smoothing pot metal.

Just another way to come at it. If you can't find the exact tool you need, there are always a couple of ways to make one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Flexible-Shaft-Die-Grinder-Rotary-Tool-Variable-Speed-Foot-Pedal-Kit-KJ/132792075731

Dan/Panther

I purchased the Shoe Polisher. It rotates slower than a regular buffer, I feel it's safer. I believe I paid under $20 for it. Comes with several attachments.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

gands-antiques

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

My preference so far is Dan's shoe shine buffer. I don't think the speed reduction will impact the quality of the polished surfaces too much and the main thing is that it will fit under the Featherweight sewing machine column.The buffer pad will rotate parallel to the flat bed surface and I believe it will polish the brass blades on the fans I restore.

Thanks again,
Gary