News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Asbestos insulation in old WE handset wires?

Started by Telephones_etc, January 30, 2019, 03:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephones_etc

Hello fellow CRPF'ers. Just got an early (1937) WE 302, but the handset had been cut, then glued ::) back together by a previous owner. I had just cut the wire to put new screw-down connectors on it, when I noticed a white powder on the tip where I had cut it. I shook the wire a bit and more of the stuff came out. Could the powder be asbestos by any chance? I've heard that the majority of old cloth wire was insulated with asbestos, but fiberglass was invented in 1932 so it also could be that... I'm pretty sure the wires are original.

Any insight would be great,
Telephones_etc :)
"The day will come when the man at the telephone will be able to see the distant person to whom he is speaking."

-Alexander Graham Bell

HarrySmith

I do not believe there was any asbestos in the wires. I would hazard a guess that it was corrosion you saw.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Telephones_etc

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 30, 2019, 03:40:34 PM...I would hazard a guess that it was corrosion you saw.

Yeah, I think you're right. Checked the wires again and they're reaching the end of their lifespan ;)
"The day will come when the man at the telephone will be able to see the distant person to whom he is speaking."

-Alexander Graham Bell

Key2871

The insulation in those old sets would deteriorate and fine powder would be the result. I've seen it before, of course corrosion could also be the powder you see.
KEN

jsowers

Asbestos was only used where extreme heat and danger of fire were possible, as in power cords for heaters, irons and stage lighting. So phones would never need such protection. Not even the Hot Line.  ;)
Jonathan