News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rack mounting the 200 series KTU's...

Started by Babybearjs, February 23, 2019, 08:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

:) well... I pulled out my 208's and the framework of my network rack.. found that the units do fit on the frame, except sideways... (if you like it that way...) I rewired the common wiring and am going to put the project back away for now. enclosed are some pictures of what I wound up with... using old equipment on new hardware... it works, kind of...
John

compubit

Something can definitely be said about the Bell System defining and following standards.  Rack-mounted servers were decades away from the origins of this equipment, yet it fits today's standards perfectly.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

rdelius

Western Electric was using 19 inch racks  on broadcasting equiptment at least back to the 1930s. I have a vintage audio amp that will mount  in a modern rack.

Babybearjs

well, almost.... because of the uneven spacing, I have to mount the KTU's a certain way. notice how the 216 and 211 are spaced... the hole don't line up and I'm forced to go over 1 space to mount the 211. Plus I'm using the VERTICAL posts as apposed to the horizontal. I bought a pair of horizontal bars and the spacing was off too Both height and width were off and I was forced to abandon that idea. I think the new racks have been tweaked for the new equipment. kind of frustrating... especially when it wasn't made by WE. 
John

RB

A lot of rack mounts were made to accept 2 different spacing concepts.
AND, the screws were different also??? ???
not sure what models fit besides the usual 1u devices.
but it makes odd size products difficult to mount together.
Nice work, Babybearjs!!!
very clean.
Why did you stop?

Babybearjs

the KTU's on this aren't ready to be reinstalled. all I did was to make the common connections (Feed-thru) to get it ready. I'm still trying to figure out HOW to mount it. as it stands now, it would just sit on the floor. because the 15A brackets are no longer made, there is no cabinet ready to accept the KTU's. this is experimental right now and I hope find a better solution. If anyone has anymore 15A brackets, I have use of them.... I've been looking, but so far no go...
John