News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 320 Type Telephone Set- Explosion Proof Phone

Started by Russ Kirk, February 24, 2019, 07:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

First, please forgive the messy workbench. Between working on phones and non-phones, I have not had the time to make the workbench presentable.

Let me go back a few years.  About 15 years ago I got a Western Electric 320 from a munitions depot.  The strange thing it did not have a key hole and the pin moved up and down freely.  I tried and tried to the get it to unscrew, after many hours spraying with lubricants it slowly began to move, albeit, only with great effort.  I ultimately used a strap wrench, but it was still very difficult.  I could feel the threads grinding inside.  After about 2 turns it was done, and so was I , it would not budge in either direction.  I had it on display for about 5 years and then sold it at a phone show.

In my large haul I got another Western Electric 320, this time it has the key, woo hoo! I removed the cover and tried to spin the top half. Darn it won't move,  memories of that first 320 came back.  After a while, and considerable straining on my part, it slowly began to move. But this time no grinding, just a slow smooth steady movement, but with great effort. After about 15 minutes of pulling, pushing, rotating and repeating the top half was finally clear. Whew!  I suspect the threads were gummed up from the last 20 years sitting in a damp warehouse. 

I have included some photos for your enjoyment.

I do have a question for the experts here; what product should I place on the case threads that won't allow them to gum up over time? Grease, oil, graphite or?

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Key2871

I would say oil, it will penetrate past any rust and it should keep things moving freely even after sitting.
I've known greese to gum after time, unless you used something like white lithium. That should not gum after time.

Ken
KEN

HarrySmith

Nice Find! There are products made just for lubricating threads in automobile applications. One I used to use a lot was Never Seize, made by Permatex. I have not used it recently or on anything phone related but it worked very well. That might be a good thing to try.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jester

These are fun!  My 320 didn't have a key, either, so the lock had to come off to release the pin.  Congrats on getting one complete with key.  Key2871 is right about the white lithium grease— it does not allow parts to seize, no matter how long it's been since its application.
Stephen

paul-f

Nice set, Russ.

I have owned several 320 and 520 sets and have been fortunate that the threads on all worked well.

However, I have had thread sticking issues on other sets and non-phone items. Often minor corrosion was involved.

Before lubricating, it's important to make sure the threads are clean and in good condition. Any corrosion or deformity not only creates friction, but provides an opening for future wear and corrosion -- although the risk is hopefully mitigated by some of the products discussed.

As a first step, I clean the threads with a toothbrush, and - if needed - a stiffer bristle brush or even a wire brush. Then spread a good coating of rubbing compound on the threads and work the parts back and forth until they move relatively easily. After thoroughly cleaning with a good degreaser, it's time to lubricate.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

19and41

I would use this on the threads.  it doesn't dry out and will remain as a stable grease and moisture displacer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html

It comes in a tube as shown, not a cartridge.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke