News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

using computer parts...

Started by Babybearjs, March 11, 2019, 10:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

while I was setting up the water to make dinner tonight, it thought about the old SCSI computer peripherals and how they used the amphenol connectors... I then though about the external chassis that some of these units had and wondered... could they be used for telephone equipment? Interesting thought. has anyone had the same thought about using computer parts in telephone equipment?
John

Key2871

Computer parts I've seen, are not even close to the same size used in telephone application. Those were call centronics connectors at least that what I know them as.
Now if you're talking about large industrial type chassis, that's a different story.
But again if you're using rack system parts to use on your 1A why don't you scope out some vertical frames some where and apply your stuff to those. Look at buildings that may be changing out old for new, and you could get vertical parts from that. Or just look on line for that stuff. You might just find a hinged gate that you can mount your KSUs on and if you need to service, loosen the captive screw and swing it out to work on it.
KEN

compubit

The original 50 pin "centronics" SCSI connector is the same as for 1A2 equipment.  I would think you could (if you can find one) one of the ribbon cables with multiple connectors to connect several 1A2 sets tot he same set of lines. The main concern to me is being able to carry enough current in the wires for lights, bells, etc., as those ribbon cables used pretty small wire...

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!