News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is bakelite

Started by Kenny C, February 22, 2010, 09:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremylivin

So is there anything that can be done to restore the look of bakelite?
Jeremy Livingston

AET

I loved curves when I was 13 too, I was dating a 16 year old :)
- Tom

Kenny C

it looks like that handset
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny,

Which model of phone is it?  Is it a "red bar"? 

Larry

McHeath

So is there anything that can be done to restore the look of bakelite?

It depends.  If the finish is decent it can be buffed and sometimes looks incredibly good, new even in some cases.  

But, if the outer layer of thin plastic coating is worn off it's pretty much a done deal.  In that case you will simply have a rough and splotchy finish.  Some folks cover it up with shoe polish, or paint it, or just live with it.  

Kenny C

Gee I do not know.On the bottom it says DK-500-BA.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny,

I know what that is.  I have been trying to buy one of those.  It is almost a WE 500, but with a more stylish shell and handset.  Dennis has a photo album of one at: http://picasaweb.google.com/vintagerotaryphones/KelloggModelDK500#.  Enjoy yours!

Larry

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny, the black ones are not hard to find.  They were made by the Kellogg Switchboard and Supply Company of Chicago, IL.  The DK-500's are commonly called the Banjo phone because of the circular look around the dial.  I recently acquired one of color. Now those are very hard to find.  You can see them side-by-side here:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=317

The yellow phone has a plastic handset, similar to the Western Electric.  The handset on the black phone is Bakelite.  It is called a "gumdrop" handset because of it's shape.

Kenny C

Gee thanks the black one looks just like mine. Thanks for telling me what type of handset it is. You all are realy helpful!!! ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 23, 2010, 11:19:39 PM
Kenny, the black ones are not hard to find.  They were made by the Kellogg Switchboard and Supply Company of Chicago, IL.  The DK-500's are commonly called the Banjo phone because of the circular look around the dial.  I recently acquired one of color. Now those are very hard to find.  You can see them side-by-side here:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=317

The yellow phone has a plastic handset, similar to the Western Electric.  The handset on the black phone is Bakelite.  It is called a "gumdrop" handset because of it's shape.

Dennis
I have never had any luck finding any banjo phones locally.
Are your Banjos soft plastic?
Jim

I like the yellow one.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

There was a black one on ebay recently which went fairly cheaply, but I was outbid by 50 cents at the last second.  Otherwise, I rarely see them there.

Larry

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Jim, my Banjo phones are soft plastic.  I don't know if they made that style later with ABS plastic.  I have another color set too (Moss Green) but it has some damage on one side.  I have yet to work on that phone.  It's been a while since I've seen a one in color on eBay.  I remember a red one a while back and it went for a rather high price.  You just don't see them often.

Craig T

There was a black one on CL within the last 8 weeks. I have never seen a color banjo phone for sale.