News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Selling our collection and leaving the hobby entirely

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, September 20, 2019, 11:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

After much thought, Ashley and I are leaving the hobby completely.
There are things we've wanted to add to our collection for a long time, when we do find them they are way beyond the realm of possibility for our budget. Which is really bothersome.

This hobby needs young blood but the cost of entry is high. Too high for most.

Its just not fun anymore.

Ashley and I will be selling our entire collection sans a few things. Once our collection is gone we will leave the group entirely.

tubaman

Hi Steve and Ashley,

I fully understand where you are coming from in respect of the price of some phones nowadays, but it's sad that you have decided to stop altogether.
However, if you are not finding the hobby fun anymore then you definitely need to do what feels right for you.
If it were me I'd take time to sell the collection to make sure you get the best prices for everything. I know some people here aren't fans of eBay, but I do think if you write good descriptions and take decent photos then people will be prepared to pay a decent price.
Good luck for everything in the future and take care.
:)

I do not use eBay,  Never will sell on that.   Ill be selling stuff locally on the facebook marketplace,  what doesn't sell will be trashed or scrapped.  Im giving it till the end of the month.   We are done. 

I have a 555 switchboard in my living room that I will break down for scrap tomorrow and get it the heck out. 

This hobby isn't fun anymore.   Its for the rich. 

tubaman

Please don't be too hasty on this. You have some lovely items that people will give you decent money for, but it might not be quick.
If you just can't stand the sight of the stuff right now then move it out into a shed or something, but don't break it up as that achieves nothing.

The breaking point for us was when I  finally found a Northern Telecom Millenium Payphone,  something Ive wanted for years.  But the seller had a ridiculous price,  another collector.    Mind you just a few years ago these milleniums were worthless bricks because there was no way to activate them.   Thanks to the hard work of the phone phreaking community,  they were able to release the firmware.  But people saw that as an opportunity to make a huge profit.  They released the firmware for FREE.  So the milleniums should at least be somewhat affordable not the cost of 2 house payments.   

That made me realize people are just in it for the money,  not for the preservation of history,  but the almighty dollar.  and its ridiculous.   I could care less what i get for my collection because its just stuff.   I gave away a ton of step equipment, 1A2 equipment and phones at Vintage Computer Festival Midwest this past weekend.   For me its not about the money.

Thats what made me hate this hobby.   Well that and the whole dylan cruz drama. 

So all good things must end.  We are done.

Dan/Panther

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for but have you checked this link  ?

D/P

https://tinyurl.com/yywdx2mv

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

tubaman

For some people it's undoubtedly true that they want to make money from old phones. That is also true for pretty much any collecting hobby - if something is seen as desirable then it gets expensive.
For me, I collect phones because I like them. I like the look, the feel, the sounds they make. I like the engineering ingenuity that has gone into making them, and I like them being pieces of social history.
Over the years I've got some lovely phones cheaply and I've also paid more than I should have for others. When I decide that one needs a new home then it makes whatever the market at the time dictates, and that's sometimes less than I paid for it.  But I get enjoyment from each and every one so to me that's worth more than just the money.

Dan/Panther

Steve and Ashley;

As far as cost goes, I believe I have one of the most cherished WE500 phones ever made. Not another one has appeared, not even the same parts. I can not imagine what the phone may be worth. However, I did purchase it for $225.00. If not for one other bidder, I would have won that phone for $15.00.
Money is not the main consideration, Patience/Time is.
I have been trying to learn to play the guitar for the past 8 years, I'm not great at it, but if it were easy, what fun would it be, and everyone would be doing it.
Any hobby is going to present the same challenges. If not, a hobby would not be fun at all.
I was born in 1949, as a phone collector, Most would desire a phone with their birth year as the year of manufacture. 1949 WE500, GOOD LUCK, it didn't take GOOD LUCK, it took time, I have a phone I would not trade for a 1949 WE500, this one is better in my mind. Their are several WE500 1949 phones known, my phone is Unique.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

RB

I must agree, but first, I understand completely both sides of the coin.
I, however, am stuck on the doin it cause I just love old phones side.
My meager collection consists of just a couple "nice" looking phones, "not expensive", and the rest, well, They are kludged together.
I get what I can afford, "which ain't much", and have to fix them to get them working... Which is the part I love!!
Then, connecting them to one of the switchboards I built myself, because I cannot afford to buy one. And, best part, using them!!!
Scouring ebay, and other sights for a deal, I FREQUENTLY get outbid, missed some really nice phones, oh well, another will come along.
I use a good portion of my phone collection. That helps me get over being out bid...sort of.
I feel your pain, Phr34k, Hope you find comfort again. :)

Desert Phone Guy

I understand your frustration.... I started collecting phones  50 years ago, when I was 15.  Back then, I was excited to find anything telephone related.  I joined the ATCA  in 1972 and started going to shows.  After I attended a few, I learned that I was not getting the opportunity for any good pieces, just the things that the other "old timers" didn't want.  Much of the good stuff  was already sold at the show, or  backdoor deals were made with the high rollers.

Those experiences were frustrating, but I kept on plugging away, finding a few things here and there..  I discovered I enjoyed "the hunt" almost as much as having the phone.  I started finding decent things, like a WE A1 for $5 at a yard sale, A red 302 for $20, green 302 for 35....

I have had some nice items such as an Erie Candlestick, an 1897 potbelly and more exotic things such as these. 

These came to me from friends I made over the years.

Now I collect common things and still enjoy the hunt.

My point is, don't get discouraged because  of the hobby being  all about money.    Things still surface.  I still get sniped on ebay, I still lose bids to those with more to spend than I am willing to spend.  But I don't get angry anymore... I just go on to the next chase.  I still enjoy collecting, hitting the flea markets, restoring basket case phones.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on September 21, 2019, 03:48:09 PM
I understand your frustration.... I started collecting phones  50 years ago, when I was 15.  Back then, I was excited to find anything telephone related.  I joined the ATCA  in 1972 and started going to shows.  After I attended a few, I learned that I was not getting the opportunity for any good pieces, just the things that the other "old timers" didn't want.  Much of the good stuff  was already sold at the show, or  backdoor deals were made with the high rollers.

Those experiences were frustrating, but I kept on plugging away, finding a few things here and there..  I discovered I enjoyed "the hunt" almost as much as having the phone.  I started finding decent things, like a WE A1 for $5 at a yard sale, A red 302 for $20, green 302 for 35....

I have had some nice items such as an Erie Candlestick, an 1897 potbelly and more exotic things such as these. 

These came to me from friends I made over the years.

Now I collect common things and still enjoy the hunt.

My point is, don't get discouraged because  of the hobby being  all about money.    Things still surface.  I still get sniped on ebay, I still lose bids to those with more to spend than I am willing to spend.  But I don't get angry anymore... I just go on to the next chase.  I still enjoy collecting, hitting the flea markets, restoring basket case phones.
Well Said,
I concur,
Jim Stettler
ATCA#1556  (non-current)
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Steve, Ashley, I get your frustrations. But I wouldn't let that deture me. I've had problems in the past getting that one phone I've really wanted, and yea I had to wait for a while.. But I never gave up and sold everything I owned just because a few are in it to get rich, your going to find that in anything someone collects. I had a major life change happen to me over ten years ago I had to sell down my collection. I needed the money. But it was a decition I needed to make, that I regret to some extent. I had a few NOS sets that are, were very old. I fell into them over the years being in the right place at the right time. It just doesn't happen with me anymore.
And like I said, there was a few phones that I wanted but it happened that I just had to wait, sometimes for a couple years before I could get what I wanted for a fair price.
Please give you're self a bit more time, and rethink.
I just don't want you to later regret your selling off because a couple things ticked you off. You may truly regret your choice later.. I can't afford to buy nice phones at least right now. But I haven't given up, I find some nice things to fix up or work on from time to time, still regretting what I sold off some for real cheap just because I was getting desperate.

KEN

Whitcrane76

I see phones on eBay and in antique stores/flea markets all the time that I would love to have but are either overpriced or just out of my price range, but I don't get mad and destroy my collection. I just keep looking.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on September 22, 2019, 01:01:56 AM
I see phones on eBay and in antique stores/flea markets all the time that I would love to have but are either overpriced or just out of my price range, but I don't get mad and destroy my collection. I just keep looking.
100% agreement. Can't afford it, go to the next one....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

Life hands you challenges, I can't afford to purchase like I did before I had to close my business but, I turned my energy inward to what I have already acquired, each with their own story. I enjoy what I own, wait for my next opportunity, they will show up. Read about it here all the time!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service