News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric model A/B 532 telephone issue

Started by Brian-Eifert-1999, November 25, 2019, 12:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian-Eifert-1999

Hi everyone I recently purchased this telephone from eBay. The seller noted in the description that the phone worked and the volume control did as well. When I went to test it there was no dial tone. Then I tested the ringer which it worked fine but when I picked up the handset it continued to ring. I thought maybe it had something to with the wiring but another phone collector told me probably not.

Jack Ryan

I don't know what the transmitter circuit looks like in that telephone so I can't make detailed suggestions.

If there is no dial tone and lifting the handset doesn't stop (trip) ringing then perhaps:

1. The hook switch is not operating properly or
2. The handset is not connected properly
3. There is some other problem I didn't think of

Is the amplifier line powered or does it need a battery?

There is a section on Paul's site for the 532 - search for 532 on this page: http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

Jack

HowardPgh

Check that the dial has returned all the way to its resting position. Check the back of it to see if the two contacts by the eccentric cam are closed(blue and green wires). Follow those wire back to the network to F and RR, put a jumper betwen those two screws and see if dialtone returns. If that happens then the pulse contacts on the dial are open.  Other thought is that the amplifier is polarity sensitive, try reversing the L1 and L2 wires.
Howard

Brian-Eifert-1999

Thank you Jack! I believe the handset is wired correctly. I happened to test a c/d 500 I purchased recently and it has the same problem. I also thank you Howard! I tried the last thing you said and still gives the same result. I am not quite sure how to do the other things you suggested. I forgot to mention that I dialed a number, then dial tone came on and went back off after dialing. Jack I am not sure if the amplifier needs a battery or if it is line powered. I had mentioned to another collector that it might be my phone service but now I don't believe that is true because I am able to test other rotary phones.

Brian-Eifert-1999

I figured out the problem it was the dial on both phones. I switched out the dial and handset to another base and I got the same problem. So then I realized it had to be the dial because I had switched the handset components a ways back and still got the same problem there as well. The a/b 532 has a 7G dial which I thought was weird to begin with.

poplar1

7G dials have an extra set of muting contacts. Commonly found on 565s for the 3A Speakerphone option.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Brian-Eifert-1999

Thank you Paul for those references. Since I don't plan on using this phone often I'm just going to reinstall the 7G dial.

Babybearjs

After viewing the schematic, I'd be careful about replacing the dial. according to the schematic, the Y (yellow) leads go to the amplifier.  Study the schematic prior to making any changes.
John